Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shalaj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 06:06 PM
    Do I need to apply for ITIN for dependent ?
    Hi,
    I am having L1B visa and my spouse and kids are on L2 visa. I am having my SSN. I work in NY and stay in NJ. Do I need to get ITIN for spouse and Kid for federal and state Tax both ?

If Yes, When can I apply for ITIN for dependent?I will really appreciate, If any one can brief me about procedure , how can I get ITIN?

Many thanks .

Regards,
    SK Srivastava
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 06:45 AM
    If you meet Substantial Presence Test, then you can file a resident return as Married Filing Jointly. You will get standard deduction of $10,700 and exemption for both of you for $3,400 each. You will also get exemption for your kids and even Child tax credit of $1000 for each kid.

With your tax return you will attach W7 (ITIN) forms for your spouse and kids.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Let me expand on this just a bit.

Even if you do not meet SPT, you CAN file jointly with your wife, but you must wait until you meet SPT in 2008 before you can file. Both you and your wife must sign a statement that says you meet SPT and choose to be treated as resident aliens for all of 2007. This will also require that you and your wife claim ALL world-wide income for 2007.

When you submit the W-7s, you must attach a notarized photocopy of your wife and child's passport. This can be done at your local bank.

If you need professional help, contact me at the email below.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Apply for ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on H1 and my wife came here last week on H4. I am also in the process of changing my job and my H1 transfer application is with USCIS right now. I wanted to apply for her ITIN. I know I am suppose to fill up W7 form. But is there anything else that she needs to apply for her Driver;s...

Apply ITIN for H4 living outside US [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an H1B holder, can I apply my wife and kids, H4 holders for ITIN so I can claim them as dependents? Thanks! Reyn

ITIN for L2 dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have couple of question on Dependent filling, please help me in understanding. 1. I came to US on March'07. My spouse and kid joined me on May'07. My wife & kid will be staying for 6 month and then leaving back to India. Can I change my W4 status to Married and get the tax benefits on...

Apply for ITIN for my wife from India [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am Ganesh B. I hold valid H1 visa and my wife holds valid H4 visa. We both travelled USA on Feb 18 2006 and returned back to India on Jan 6 2007. Now we both are in India. Now I need tio file my US Tax Returns. Can I apply for ITIN for my wife now ? Please advice.

ITIN for my Dependent Wife [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US for the first time on Auguest 28th 2006. I am on L1 visa and I have my wife and Child along with me. For IRS tax filing for 2006 , what is my status --Resideint Alien or Non Resident Alien ? Do we (me and wife) need to file Jointly? If yes while filing online , its...

View more questions Search