Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Daskevin Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 03:38 PM
    Queries/Filing Income tax return on L1
    Hi,

I am in US Texas from 15th Oct 2007 to 31st March 2008 on L1 Visa.My questions are
    1.Will I need to pay Fedral Taxes in US.
    2.If no,How and when should I apply for Tax returns in US which has already been dedcuted(Fedral tax).
    3.Which are the Tax return forms?
    4.Can you please let me know as the number days in US on L1 which would exempt me from paying Taxes.Is there specified number of days.

Appreciate your Help

Regards
    Kevin
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 06:38 AM
    L1 visa is working visa and the income is not exempt from taxes. The taxes deducted from your income is not the actual amount of taxes that you will pay. If your withholdings are more than your actual tax, then you will receive refund. If the withholdings are less than the actual tax, then you will pay the due amount.

You will file your tax return for 2007. It includes period from Jan 2007 to Dec 2007. For 2007, you will file as nonresident tax return, probably form 1040NR-EZ. You will get personal exemption of $3,400 plus itemized deductions. The due date of return is April 15, 2008, but it is always better to file as early as possible.

It appears, that for 2008 also you will file as nonresident unless you stay in the U.S. for a longer period.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Jan 19, 2008, 09:49 AM
    It is hard to tell more without additional information. You are most likely a NR and should file a 1040NR. What country are you from and what are you doing in the US?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 12:10 PM
    I agree with TTE. It is possible that NO taxes are due, because Kevn MAY have stayed less than 183 days.

We need EXACT dates of entry and exit, and home country to provice better guidance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing My Tax Return [ 4 Answers ]

How soon can I file my federal tax return?

Filing an amended return [ 10 Answers ]

I am thinking about filing an amended return for 2004. I discovered that our "tax guy" failed to included the mortgage interest that we paid for that year. Also, in looking at the paperwork, we noticed that he included daycare costs that we didn't necessarily have. :confused:

Filing status different for Federal return and State return [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use a different filing status for Federal and State? I got married in October last year, but I and my wife were residing in separate states till early 2007. So, on Dec 31st we were married but did not stay together. For the state I guess we cannot file JOINT because of different states....

L1 Visa Holder - First Time Filing - Queries [ 3 Answers ]

I moved to the US on 14th Nov 2006 to work under a L1 visa. My salaries are paid by the local offices of my parent company in dollars. I got my W2 form from my employer and need to file my tax. I have my family with me since I came - wife and two kids (3 yrs and 1 yr+), but none of them have an SSN...

2006 Tax Filing Queries - ITIN/NY-NJ/H1-H4 [ 1 Answers ]

Here's background: I'm on H1B visa, working in New York since Mar 2006. I'm residing in New Jersey since Mar 2006. I got married in Sep,2006 in India and my spouse joined me in Nov,2006 in US. She is on H4 dependent visa and doesn't have SSN or ITIN. Here's questions about my filing US...

View more questions Search