Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homeowner5921 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 03:27 PM
    Computer shuts off spontaneously
    My computer (Dell, running Win XP) has started shutting down spontaneously. It only happens when I am running Spybot or when my kiddo is playing a Webkinz game online. It will predictably just shut down during these two operations. It doesn't happen any other time.

I can power it up again as normal after it happens. I run an AVG Free virus program that hasn't detected anything. I am really frustrated that it happens while I'm using Spybot.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2008, 04:56 PM
    To be honest, uninstall spybot. There are many spyware apps out there and spybot is very cpu intensive which may cause cpu to overheat
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2008, 05:05 PM
    I think there may be a setting in SpyBot that runs scan -- then shuts down

Just like some run at startup and add time to that operation -- are you running P2P

This link may help Spybot runs , then shuts down - Google Search
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2008, 05:15 PM
    Nice find
    sboaz71 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Spybot AVG and most of the freeware programs put too much taxing on your computer. Most of them run in the background while the computer is on. CTrl ALt Del then checking the running programs sometimes won't even detect them. Check your startup folder. Make sure if you are not using the programs take them out. Also in the options folders of most programs you can select Do Not run when windows starts up.

Jan 18, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Thanks for the info and the link... very helpful. Will try cleaning out CPU first.

Um, what is P2P?
    PolluxCastor Posts: 117, Reputation: 5

Jan 19, 2008, 07:32 PM
    P2P is Peer to Peer - you getting a file from a 3rd party.

There is also Malware that will shut the computer down if you attempt to run certain programs that are designed to detect them. So, it could also indicate an infection.

Jan 20, 2008, 10:36 AM
    How does one get rid of a Malware program like that?
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Jan 22, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Spybot installs Tea Timer which is what monitors your registry and protects you from spy/mal-ware. This is running all the time in the background and does not require a lot CPU power. Running a scan with Spybot is no more intensive than running a scan with any other spyware/AV program. I've never used AVG but I would be very very careful about un-installing or shutting down any software that's protecting your system. My main PC is a 4 year old AMD 64 and I have no speed issues running Spybot (tea timer) or any AV software, even when I game. If you're running a full scan with Spybot then I would recommend not using your computer for the duration of the scan.

Webkinz is a web game... my daughter plays it all the time. Even if other programs were taxing your CPU that site is certainly not enough to shut down your computer on it's own.

When it shuts down what does it do? Does it blue screen, immediately power off or does it go through the regular shut down process?

How old is your computer? CPU/memory, etc...
    PolluxCastor Posts: 117, Reputation: 5

Jan 22, 2008, 09:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by homeowner5921
    How does one get rid of a Malware program like that?
    In "Safe Mode" is one way.

Jan 23, 2008, 12:02 PM
    jstrike, as a fellow Packer fan, I express my condolences and misery.

When I run a Spybot scan, I close all other programs. And if my kiddo is playing Webkinz, if anything, I only have my email program open. The computer just immediately shuts off... no blue screen, no nothing. It is about six years old, although I had to replace the hard drive after two years, so that is four years old. It has an Intel Celeron CPU 1300MHz and 256 MB RAM. It's been pretty reliable up 'til now.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Jan 24, 2008, 07:35 PM
    From the thrill of the Seattle game to the agony of the NY game. Ugh. It was a great season especially since no one expected them to get to the championship game.

At any rate...
    I'm not really sure what to tell you... the first thing I would do would be to re-install spybot. If that doesn't fix the problem then look at using another spyware program.
    Another option is to try the Ultimate Boot CD and see if your system is infected.
    Ultimate Boot CD - Overview
    The last option would be to re-install your operating system.

May 4, 2008, 07:06 PM
    BTW, I reinstalled Spybot and that fixed it. No problems since... thanks!
    yessanltlorant Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2008, 11:04 AM
    Download AVG and make whole computer scan.AVG will catch any virus or spyware and remove them.AVG antivirus free edition,from this site:
    AVG Free - Download antivirus and antispyware software for Windows XP and Vista
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

Sep 22, 2008, 07:56 AM

There is an automatic restart on system failure option. Right click my computer -> properties -> advanced -> start up and recovery. If you uncheck that and get it again if it is caused by a BSOD it'll show. Some programs just overload the cpu etc. sometimes and other times maybe it causes your cpu to overheat making it auto shutdown as a safety measure. Good to hear you aren't having any more problems though ^_^
    webi Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Sep 24, 2008, 09:21 AM
    You should check temperatures, and power cable connected to your PC too :)
    High temperature and power loss can cause spontaneous reboots, and if no - check the event log.
    You can find in start -> control panel -> administrative tools.

To see if it's hardware or software related, try running a livecd (for example knoppix) for a few hours for example.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Random window pops up when Computer Shuts Down [ 1 Answers ]

Every time I turn off my computer a window pops up with the Title "Cardreaderlookup". And is says it's unable to open since the computer is shutting down. Why does that Always pop up?

Refrigerator Shuts Off Spontaneously [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2-3 year old GE refrigerator. It has started to shut down for no reason that I can see. The breakers aren't tripping, and the light bulb is working, but the fridge is dark when I open it and I can't hear the motor. The plug is in properly, but the refrigerator loses power. When it...

My computer randomly stands by and then shuts off after 3 times [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know what to do, My computer tells me I have critical system error but I don't know how to fix it and I don't know what to do nor have the money to seek a solution... any suggestions?

Computer voluntarily shuts down [ 1 Answers ]

My PC keeps shutting down voluntarily and there is no error message when I reboot. Could sonmeone please help to remedy? Many thanks

Computer shuts down [ 4 Answers ]

Hello to all. I have a couple problems with my computer:mad: . One is I keep having this box pop up saying cannot find FLASH.OCX. I don't know what that is and why it keeps poping up. Any suggestions? Also. The most annoying thing is that my computer will shut down for no apparent reason. It will...

View more questions Search