Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fearingreprisal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 02:01 PM
    HIPAA Violation?
    My (former) dentist overcharged my credit card for a crown. The VISA department of my bank sent the dentist a 'chargeback inquiry' to determine if my claim was valid. In response, the dentist faxed my bank a "Family History Listing" which in addition to my payment history (which seems reasonable), includes date, code, and description of the work I had done. Does this constitute a HIPAA violation?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 18, 2008, 03:58 PM
    No, in the process of the billing, to prove a debt valid or not valid, the billing information would be required.

You would have signed a normally a general release to allow your info given out for billing information. Of course if you did not mind being over charged??
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jan 22, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Fr_Chuck is correct. It is standard billing procedure (required, in fact) that your medical documents (procedures, diagnosis, etc.) be shared with your insurance company.

That is the only way an insurance company can determine what/how to bill your account.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 22, 2008, 04:28 PM
    Nope not at all. Your dentist had to prove the charges. Since you are the one who got the ball rolling, so to speak, you gave implied consent for your dentist to release this information to the credit card company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa violation [ 2 Answers ]

I have an ex-wife who is using the court system to constantly harass me. I was recently terminated by my employer while I was on medical disability. I am seeking legal council for that issue. Her latest stunt is to sopena my former employer to turn over all medical records. They already did this...

Possible HIPAA violation? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Hope someone can help me determine whether this is a HIPAA violation or not. I was treated in a specialty clinic recently. At the time of checkout I had forgotten to bring money with me for the co-pay. Two other patients were waiting behind me and heard the finance person lecture me...

Hipaa violation? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I don't know if this is the right topic for the question or not, but here goes. I work in a hospital, and I was wondering if when talking to a co-worker outside of work Is it a hipaa violation to tell how many patients are on the floor, if that is all the info That you reveal?...

Is this a hipaa violation [ 2 Answers ]

I work for a financial company, I was diagnosed with type I diabetes last year. I am FMLA covered and I am cleared for 8 days a month to be off work for my medical appointments and any issues that I may have. I have been having complications and had to go on a medical leave of absence. My...

HIPAA violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of trying to have an insurance claim from a motorcyle wreck last summer taken care of by my insurance company. I was asked to send in a copy of the letter of denial from the auto insurance company so they could proceed with the claim. I sent in the letter, and received a call...

View more questions Search