Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lorenzorossi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Wiring specs
    I am trying to run an electrical wire to power a 5 ton central air - 220/40 volts - 40 amps.
    Its length is approxaimately 60 feet from the panel - what type /wire gauge do I need?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 18, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Personally, I' a little puzzled by the length of your run. Are the compressor and motor located in the roof of your dwelling? You need to size your conductors to get your conductor size correctly. Is this a new installation site or are all th3e sub requirements already rated and installed? For example is the Service Disconnect installed to code and inspected. Do you have the requisite permits for this installation. Have you sized and installed the concrete pad?

Fortunately, almost all of the electrical information is contained on the motor plate label. That gives us all manner of needed information. Would you consider putting the exact information from the label plate into this item so we can assist you?

I'll continue to assist once I get the needed information back from you
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 18, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Number 8 copper will work BUT I am always heavy on electric feed for HVAC so I would roll with a number 6 copper. More capacity makes a compressor a happy camper. Now if it is a spec job be cheap. LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for AC Unit Specs Online [ 6 Answers ]

Where's a good place to research the specs on my Goodman Mfg. Corp air conditioning unit? It's old and at the manufacturer's website they don't have any archives for documentation of legacy models. My unit's model number is CPE36-1AB. I need to know stuff like how many tons it is, BTU, etc. ...

Kz650 specs [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what the carb float measurement should be for a 1978 kz650. I just rebuilt the carbs and they still leak gas from the bowls. Any suggestions?

Belt specs [ 1 Answers ]

I need to find the dimensions for the belt on a 1999 yardman tractor the oem part number is 742-0485 according to the parts manual. The tractor is second hand and I believe the belt on it is incorrect and it keeps throwing the belt and cutting it .Thanks

Specs for a demand meter [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, Do you know where can I find the specs for the --- Two-stator watt hour-thermal kv demand meter 60hz type D4A-5K.. This unit is installed at my building and I feel it is not working properly.. I would like to read up on how it works so I know if indeed is is working correctly... Thanks...

Engine oil specs [ 1 Answers ]

What will happen if you put 3 quarts of oil in a 1&3/4 capacity engine? I am having a trouble with the engine cranking with the spark plugs installed. When you take the spark plugs out, oil pumps out when cranking engine.

View more questions Search