Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anniesen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2006, 05:12 PM
    H1B visa and taxes query
    Hi! I have been reading numerous posts regarding the dual status nature of one's tax return.

I have been in the US since Aug 2000 and my F-1 visa expired in June 2005. I was working on my opt since July 2005(till oct) and got my H1-B visa on Oct 2005. As per what I have read so far, I understand I do not pass the substantial Presence Test since I got my H1B visa in Oct this year. So, should I just file a 1040NR form? I will have 2 W-2s-one from my university till June 2005 and then from my present employer for the period July-Dec 2005. How should I show my H1B visa income on my 1040 NR form? Should I add the total income from both W-2s and then complete only one form?

Thank you for any assistance in this matter.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 8, 2006, 08:43 PM
    Anniesen:

Though I am not an immigration official or attorney, it is my understanding that the succeeding visa takes effect retroactive to the date after the old visa expires, in which case your H-1B visa actually took effect in June. Even it that is NOT the case, your exempt status from the Substantial Presence Test expired with the F-1 visa, so, In my opinion, you do qualify as a resident alien and should file Form 1040.

You combine the W-2s and report the sum of Box 1 on each form as your total wages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1A visa and Taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Our head company is located in Sweeden and we are bringing someone over on a L1A Visa. What taxes is this person subject to, Federal, state local, but are they also subject to Social Security and Medicare? Need this ASAP, Thanks

Sailing Permit/L1 Visa/ Pay Taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hallo, I work in the US on a L1-Visa (I'm from Germany) since two years and most likely will leave the US end of this year. I get my salary paid by my German employer and get all benefits from Germany, absolut nothing from the US. I do pay taxes in Germany. Do I also have to pay taxes in the US?

H1 VISA and taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I was told, I can deduct (itemized) all the expences related to stay (like apartment rent, food etc... ) since I am on H1-B visa. I have been working for the same employer in the same location for the past 5 years. I have allways done standard deduction. Is this true in anyway? Thanks

L1 visa taxes question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been working in IL for the past year (from 1-Dec 05 ) on an L1 visa. I don't need to pay taxes in the US since I get an allowance here ( I file my taxes in india) But my company has given me some bonus money that does not fall into my tax exemption. So I need to declare that amount....

Taxes for a J1 visa living in NY and working in NJ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am a Non resident alien under J1 visa and French permanent resident. It is my first tax return in the US. I live in NY and have worked both in NY (5% of time) and in NJ. So I filled up the forms 1040NR for the federal return, 8833 for the French-US exemption but also IT-203 , IT-203 ATT for...

View more questions Search