Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tz779604 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 11:42 PM
    Charity organizations
    In the area where I live there are the goodwill stores and I do not understand how these stores are regulated? One of the stores in my area has stuff piled up from floor to ceiling everywhere with do not touch signs. They are selling items in a small space and it seems everything that IS for sale is garbage. Aren't these stores for helping underprivileged people? And if you do find SOMETHING that is worth fixing, they want an arm and a leg for it and they have nothing invested in it. It was donated!! Nearly everything has to be cleaned, repaired, glued back together, sanded and painted, or something of the sort. I believe that items should be for sale as soon as the person donating the item drops it off. The items should not be hoarded with such greed and then charge you a outrageous price. Is there a area manager? I had been told that each store is individually owned. And people if you donate items.. go inside, see how things are ran and how your donated items are being treated.
    BBWfromPhilly Posts: 42, Reputation: 5

Jan 19, 2008, 07:00 AM
    According to their website:

The money you spend in Goodwill stores goes to support job training and placement programs for people with disabilities and other disadvantages.

Although, what these programs are and where they are located I couldn't tell you.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 07:43 AM
    I used to work for an agency that affiliated with Goodwill, Inc. Our stores were not like you described. When I lived in Spokane, WA. One of my favorite stores was the Goodwill store and it was great place to find things at very reasonable prices.

What you are describing is not the normal operating procedure. Since I do not know where you are located, am going to give you the website to Goodwill Industries - Goodwill Industries International - About Goodwill

From their contact page:

"Goodwill Industries International is the membership organization comprised of all locally-based Goodwill Industries organizations. In many cases, if you have a comment, question or complaint about a personal experience, the appropriate person to contact is at your local Goodwill. Every Goodwill has its own chief executive officer and board of directors who make policy decisions affecting how the Goodwill operates its services, stores, donations and other businesses. Please use the Goodwill Locator to contact these leaders in your area.

If you have questions or a comment about Goodwill Industries in general, its national and international services, or how Goodwill Industries International works with the Goodwill in your community, we would love to hear from you. We value your comments, and will make every effort to ensure a prompt reply."

Their toll free number and email are:
    Goodwill Industries International
    15810 Indianola Drive
    Rockville, MD 20855Phone: (800) 741-0186

[email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rules regulations for 501c3 organizations [ 7 Answers ]

Would a non profit organization (501c3) be in violation if, the organization participated in an internet travel business as a fundraiser, and at the same time, members of the same organization would also earn personal funds?

Atheist Organizations [ 131 Answers ]

Hello: I'm an atheist. However, I've never found the need to bond with other atheists. Indeed, in my view, an organization for atheists is an anathema to atheism. In fact, I don't believe there IS an atheist organization. Simply put, they don't exist. Besides that, a very good reason of...

Is debt settlement organizations really helpful [ 2 Answers ]

I have found myself in deep financal trouble. Being unable to meet my monthly obligations I read I believe in suze ormans book 'women and money' that one should seek out debt settlement help when in my situation. I looked on the BBB site for honest companies and called one. I have started my...

Innovative Clubs and Organizations [ 2 Answers ]

Hello fellow internet-ers, I am quite new to this website, however, I have a pending question. I am interested in getting involved in a club pertaining to the arts, leisure, etc. I'm wondering if there are any specific organizations that would stand out on a college application, as I am planning...

View more questions Search