Stuff magets adhere to?
    What is a magnet attracted to?
    taskers Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 06:04 PM
    What does Magnet stick to?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2008, 06:05 PM
    Metal... mostly. Some other objects as well... but mostly metal, iron.

... oh yeah. Me, as well... as all things are attracted to me.

... yeah I'm done.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Iron, but they don't stick to most stainless steels. There is magnetic stainless which magnets will stick to and it rusts easily. Magnets stick to other magnets at opposite poles.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Magnets stick to ferrous metals -- common name iron or steel

They do not stick to copper, brass, aluminum or stainless steel
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 12:06 PM
    A ferromagnet (the type that I assume you are talking about, as it is most common) will stick to ferromagnetic materials that are below their Curie Temperature. This can include alloys of these materials too, depending on how they are manufactured.
    Meteormagnet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 12:20 PM
    If the field strength of the magnet is increased considerably (say, by supercooling) to the equivalent of many times the earth's field (I do not remember the numbers offhand) it can generate a localized field that will attract/repel nearly anything. There was a neat demonstration of a small (presumably non-ferrous!) frog being completely suspended.
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteormagnet
    If the field strength of the magnet is increased considerably (say, by supercooling) to the equivalent of many times the earth's field (I do not remember the numbers offhand) it can generate a localized field that will attract/repel nearly anything. There was a neat demonstration of a small (presumably non-ferrous!) frog being completely suspended.
    The frog levitation video you were talking about was performed by a professor of mine at the university of Bristol, Sir Michael Berry, and he won the IgNobel prize for the research. Nearly all materials exhibit some form of magnetism called diamagnetism. They are of course not magnetic in every day situations, but if you apply a strong enough magnetic field they will become magnetic and this is what the frog exhibits. The research was of course made possible by the creation of a remarkably strong magnetic field of several Tesla.

As we humans are mostly water like the frog, it should be possible to levitate a human, but such strong magnetic fields have not been created in an area large enough to accommodate a human.. yet. :)

He's a top bloke and it's great to be studying in a department with many physicists of his caliber.

More info (and more levitating objects by the same technique) here:
    HFML, Levitation
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 04:14 PM
    Anyone hear of a Gold Magnet? I saw a circuit years ago, I believe it was maybe high frequency static? This was for Flakes, not Gold bars.
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Anyone hear of a Gold Magnet?, I saw a circuit years ago, I believe it was maybe high frequency static? This was for Flakes, not Gold bars.
    It was likely to be taking advantage of diamagnetism. I'm not sure of the magnetic properties of Gold, Were they attracted to the magnet or repelled?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 06:13 PM
    "Were they attracted to the Mannet or repelled?"

Gold is attracted to it. "Frothing" is interesting in the fact that gold flakes will adhear to bubbles. I learned this by adding Carbonated Soda to GoldenSlagen(Cinnamon Liquer(I think), It had Gold Flakes in it, When Mixed, the Gold Flakes would rise to the top, put your finger under the floating gold flake, it will then fall inside to your fingerprint. Strange what you can do with something heavy?
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2008, 01:06 AM
    Sounds like gold is paramagnetic then, if it was really magnetism and not some other kind of attraction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

More stuff [ 3 Answers ]

Grave Service As a young minister, I was asked by a funeral director to hold a Graveside service in a new cemetery for a derelict man (with no Family or friends) who had died while traveling through the Area. The cemetery was way back in the country. This man would be the First to...

Ex wants his stuff [ 1 Answers ]

I have an ex that wants his stuff back after almost a year and a half of being in prison.. I tried to get his family to come get it but they never did. I have gotten rid of most of it but now he says he wants his stuff or money to replace it. What is the law on this?

Going through his stuff [ 2 Answers ]

Okay so I found out his password to his account and was tempted to go through his stuff, and if ound out that he is somewhat cheating on me or was close to it. How do I confront him without having him get mad at me for invading his privacy I know I was wrong... but what do I do?

Magets and dead bird [ 1 Answers ]

A bird died behind my huband's computer monitor. It was there long enough to get magets. I have washed , put out baking soda, used lysol, left the cabinet opened and sprayed bug spray. Any other thoughts besides throwing the computer cabinet away. Stephanie

Contact cement won't adhere [ 4 Answers ]

I built a kitchen countertop about a month ago and had no problem whatsoever with the contact cement/laminate procedure. I decided to build a matching island/peninsula and am now finding that the contact cement will not adhere at all. I've followed the recommended times for drying but it just...

View more questions Search