Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    outofmyhead Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Do I have BPD?
    I don't know if anyone can help, but I've had depression for years, but it's been suggested to me a few times that I may have borderline personality disorder (BPD). Mainly because I have the mood swings, the anger, the self harm, the depression, the feelings of confused personality/sexuality and feeling like I don't exist sometimes, like I'm floating through life not being able to do anything successful with my life! The thing is I've got a friend, a lot older than me who I think has kind of been hinting to me that I might have it but she hasn't told me straight and I'm scared that if I ask anyone about it then they'd think I'm attention seeking, I mean how do you deal with this kind of thing, if I'm not imagining it... it would just answer so many questions!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 07:37 PM
    I don't have the disorder, but I know of several people who do have it. What you have described is very close to what these people suffer with bipolar disorder experience. You don't say how old you are either so it's hard for me to try and tell you more. Younger people can have it but it gets more severe as they grow older.

If your friend keeps hinting to you, then you need to get a proper diagnosis. It is nothing to be afraid of as this disorder has been studied more in the past few years. The only downside is the medication can make you kind of "out of it" though according to my friend who refused to take the medicine (and he is out of control a lot). You probably would need to try several different types of medicaiton before not taking any as a last resort.
    Beentherebefore Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 09:52 PM
    Bipolar is different than BPD. Sounds like you could have it - if you see a psychiatrist, make sure it's someone who truly knows about BPD. If you don't, and choose to read books instead, try "New hope for BPD" - I think that's the title. There's a website by Randy Krieger that recommends books and things. Good luck. It's hard work, but I'm told that if you want it to end, you can overcome it. Talk more to your friend, and come right out and ask him/her - sounds like they know something about BPD and can help guide you.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Bipolar has mood swings high and lows. Most people I know with bipolar have an anger problem as well as personality disorder.
    You could try taking B vitamins, especially B6 and make an appointment to get evaluated
    And a doctors appointment to see if it is a deficiency in your blood or whatever.

This site is about bipolar
    Bipolar Disorder: Learning the Signs, Symptoms and Causes

This site is about BPD
    Symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder - Psych Central

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search