Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oprf71 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2006, 09:42 AM
    Meaning of tv-radio call letters
    Is there a website that gives the meaning of radio-tv callletters? i.e.wlup-fm chicago- the loop
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 8, 2006, 10:48 AM
    Radio
    In this country radio call letters are assigned by the Federal Communications Commission. There are corresponding government agencies in other countries that assign call letters in those countries.

The "W" and "K" designations for U.S. radio stations go back to the Federal Radio Act of 1934. By international treaty, other countries and areas have their own distinctive designations - "C" in Canada, "X" in Mexico, etc.

"W" was the designation for stations East of the Mississippi and "K" for stations West. Before that rule was firmly established, some stations East took "K" calls (like KDKA, Pittsburgh) and others West took "W" calls (like WMT in Cedar Rapids, IA and WHO in Des Moines, IA).

In the early days stations could also take three-letter calls, but for several decades new stations have had to take four-letter ones. If a three-letter station goes "dark," those calls are retired and cannot be reused.

Here are some web sites that may give more info.

http://nelson.oldradio.com/origins.html

http://earlyradiohistory.us/recap.htm
    QAQAQA111 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Aug 18, 2010, 01:22 PM
    The W & the K stand for numbers 23 & 11 ( W is the 23rd & K is the 11th in the alphabet) , both numbers are satanic & represent devil worshipers .
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2010, 07:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by QAQAQA111 View Post
    The W & the K stand for numbers 23 & 11 ( W is the 23rd & K is the 11th in the alphabet) , both numbers are satanic & represent devil worshipers .
    I think you'll win the dumbest answer award on AMHD hands down for that answer.
    tallahasseedon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2010, 07:06 PM
    I think the numbers of the letters really stand for 2/3/11, February 3rd, 2011, the date the world will start to end (starting along a line stretching from Secaucus, New Jersey and extending to a point just outside Fon du Lac, Wisconsin) and gradually expanding outward, although the final end won't be until 2012 on February 30th. I saw this in a dream about the Mayas and the end of the world so I know it is true. My dreams always come true. I met my third and sixth wives because of dreams. Or maybe they were trances. Or caused by some doodles on a piece of cardboard and some bad acid. I remember all three scenarios. But I'm sure it will be so... or maybe so-so. Aren't you? - Don of Tallahassee
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2010, 05:21 AM

I have to disagree with Twinkie, the one below her post may be a new winner?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Database is all shapes instaed of letters [ 4 Answers ]

Hi realley need help I was putting database back on my p.c from a floppy disc and instead of using Microsoft access I used wordpad now when I open it it comes up with lots of squares and symbols please can anyone help me

Chinese letters spelling out the name Terahare [ 2 Answers ]

Hi could anyone please help with this. I would like to know the chinese spelling of this name Terahare thanks

Dispute Letters [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone point me to a good dispute letter to CA's? One that is in line with the system so I can try to get some answers. I know some of these collectors don't have the original docs to prove the account. Do they have to have the original contract where I signed? Also I was told in the state...

View more questions Search