Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janbiz1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 11:59 PM
    How to generate leads for commercial janitorial biz?
    I have been in business for a couple of years and would like to grow our business by getting some Class A accounts such as 50,000~200,000 sq.ft office buildings from property managers and building owners. I have tried cold calling leasing companies and property managers that are on the yellow pages and/or Black's guide, etc... However, it doesn't seem like a good approach when dealing with these busy people. Can anybody share their tactics on getting large property leads?

Also, some of my colleagues say that the cleaning industry is very competitive so that sometimes you need to give some kickbacks to the property managers after building a close relationship, is that true? Really only the "bid guys" in the industry get the "bid accounts" and the rest of it is shared by the small ones?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 02:06 AM
    I don't know about the kickback thing. But, this is just a thought. Do you advertise on the Internet? If not, then you might want to do so by utilizing some of the many free sites on which to advertise that are available out there. Most of the best ones where you can advertise for free are listed on the following link.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/music/...ng-103010.html
    HeidiS2008 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2008, 04:49 PM
    Try using craigslist.com you can post in the "small biz" category craigslist is free to advertise on and gets tons of traffic
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2008, 08:01 PM
    Yes, craigslist.org is great to use! It is one of the sites that I referenced if someone clicks on the link in my first answer above. You can also post differently titled and worded ads in multiple sections of that site in order to get better exposure.

I agree that posting in the Small Biz category would be good. But, a person doesn't have to just stick to that category to advertise a business.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 08:11 PM
    On the bids, you have to wine and dine the people often, How many of the cleints do you take to lunch, do you follow up.

But again with some it is always the lowest bid, so make sure your costs are in line.

I will give you a good example, lets say for example my company normally makes 30 percent on a sale, on some of the higly bid jobs we may only make 5 to 10 percnet on the larger jobs to get it.

Also if you are a small business, you really want a lot of smaller contracts since if you lose a few noting bad happens, but if you have too many large contracts, you end up out of business fast.
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2008, 08:23 PM
    It's true especially about having too many large contracts. I have a neighbor who had some major cleaning contracts in our city, and he has now lost several of them for various reasons, not because he was doing a bad job, but because they were looking to cut corners in some way. And, this really hurt him financially. So, sometimes it can be very easy to lose a job, even though you may have been doing a good job.
    Lockhartlowcost Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Apr 23, 2009, 01:15 PM
    From my brief experience in the industry thus far, nothing beats walking into an establishment, and introducing yourself. When you are there in person, if they are looking for a janitorial service then they will tell you to put in a bid. Over the phone it is too easy to blow off another janitorial service if you already have potential bids. Remember that we provide a service that they need, but don't want. If you are not in their face, then they will go with the options that they already have.
    When you get a chance, if you could check out my website and tell me what you think.
    Lockhart Low Cost Cleaning
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 25, 2009, 12:52 AM

Getting in with Property Management Companies is a very difficult process and it takes a lot of perseverance and time. I would initially concentrate on mid and small sized buildings.

Most property managers at the building levels are usually given a list of 3 to 4 companies to use when they go out for bid. This list is sent down and approved by their upper management.

Occasionally a manager will take a chance on another company but his/her neck could be on the line IF that company does not work out. It is a better practice for them to use the 'given' list even though it is only 'suggested' by them. Then if one of those companies fail... it wasn't them who decided on their own to use that company.

In most larger cities there is a lot of wining, dining and expense involved in garnering the 'right' to bid. A lot of the larger companies that receive these contracts are in some cases politically connected or well know in the area. If you are talking about getting a building that is 200,000 to 300,000 square feet or more to clean... that is a large contract that attracts a lot of attention.

These types of contracts with property managers are very competitive and brings a lot of bidders out of the woodwork, thus forcing down the price. However, volume dictates price; you can bid a lot less per sq ft and make a good profit if the volume sq ft is there.

The buildings managed by property management companies that are around 25,000 to 40,000 sq ft may offer you a better opportunity at this point.

Good luck, plan on spending considerable time in finding ways to better get to know the managers. Possibly lunches, finding out what charities or organizations they belong to and join also...

Please keep me posted,

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Janitorial cleaning bids [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get cleaning bids

Janitorial services [ 4 Answers ]

I will like to get an answer, How can I get contracts for my cleaning services?

Market research for a janitorial business [ 2 Answers ]

:cool: I live in louisville Kentucky and Im in the process of starting a janitorial business part time. I do not have enough money to hire a market research firm. Where else could I get information on demand and market conditions for commercial cleaning in my area ?

Janitorial Business Leads [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any companies located in Los Angeles or on the Web that set-up leads or potential customers that are looking for janitorial services?

View more questions Search