Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thelil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 10:54 PM
    Garage door problems
    My garage door is activated by the keyless entry button for my car and also the neighbors key works my door. I think everyone may open it. What's up?

Kevin
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 06:08 AM
    It seems you have the same "code" as your neighbor.

Inside the remote and the opener are toggle switches. Change one or two of them in both the remote and the opener (so that they are the same) and your problem should be solved.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 07:41 AM
    Change codes like RickJ mentiones. If it is a learning type, I would erase all codes, then only enter your own remotes. Maybe neighbors was learned to provide access from previous owners.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 17, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Good advice. One thought before you start changing the codes. Is your sending unit built into the car or visor? If so, be sure you have an original hand held remote and instructions for reprogramming the car. When I got a new car I spent days looking for the old remote before I could get the new built in to operate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

Garage door closer problems [ 5 Answers ]

My boss has asked me to fix a garage opener. I have no clue as to the brand. When pushing the indoor switch, the door closes to within 4 inches of the floor and re-opens. If you hold the switch until the door closes completely it will stay closed. I do know that the laser beams are mounted on the...

Garage Door Problems [ 1 Answers ]

My Buddy has a garage door opener. It's a Legacy from Overhead Door Company. The "opener" i.e transmitter on the wall is a Code Dodger. The receiver is a Multi Code. Here's the problem. The original receiver went bad and Overhead came out and replaced it. It now works fine with the exception...

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

Garage door problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener and it does not stop when it fully closes. It starts to buckle, and it also does not go all the way up, only about 1/2 way. I am not really familiar w/gdo's, can you offer some ideas. Thanks, Mark

View more questions Search