Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Guitarist94 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Glowing Tomato
    Hi I am doing a science project on making a glowing tomato.

Make A GLOWING TOMATO ! Video

It says that you need non-safety matches (better known as 'strike anywhere'). Would it make a difference if I used safety-matches and if so, why?
    If anyone knows anything about this, please help.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2008, 08:25 PM
    I have a feeling it will make a difference because of the chemicals on the different types of matches.

On the "strike anywhere" matches, the necessary chemicals are present. On the safety matches the second chemical is present in the strike pad... or on the area where the safety match is rubbed to ignite it.

You could always double up on your experiment and find out if you can produce a difference by using the different types of matches on different plants.
    Guitarist94 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 08:35 PM
    Is there anyway I could find research on the chemicals?
    PolluxCastor Posts: 117, Reputation: 5

Jan 18, 2008, 09:27 PM
    Please, be very careful. If you are not an adult, it would be a good idea to have one around. If you are an adult, it would be a good idea to have a second person around anyway. Phosphorous is very unstable and you will be collecting a lot of it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2008, 09:31 PM
    Here's a little bit about the two kinds of matches --

Safety Match Chemistry:Red Phosphorus and Potassium Chlorate

Here's some chem info about phosphorus --

Silicon
    Danny1995 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 11:41 AM
    What makes the tomato glow? That is cool
    900295 Posts: 74, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 08:55 PM
    I tried this with safety matches. Didn't work. I am going to try to get the non safety

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

80-90's sci fi movie with a big red eye and glowing tubes [ 3 Answers ]

I cannot remember the name of a movie. I think it was from late 80's early 90's. There was a robot/alien/android that some how got inside a teenager. The Robot had one large red eye and glowing tubes all over the body. The kid kept transforming back and forth. Anyone know what this movie is?

John Deere L110 Loud Exhaust, glowing red muffler [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, Recently, my JD L110's exhaust became very load, started backfiring when shut down, has a strange odor, and when I lifted the hood I noticed that the muffler and exhaust was glowing red... any ideas? Thanks!

Blower on and ignitor is glowing, but no gas heat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a residential Carrier model. When heat is turned on, the blower comes on and the ignitor begins to glow, but the gas heat never fires. The gas valve is definitely turned on, and our hot water heater and oven work fine with gas heat. After the ignitor glows, I can hear a hissing sound for...

Glowing substance [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: hello, I was curious to know whether there is a substance that if walked upon Is able to light up briefly during and after the foot is on it, I'm researching for an art project and am sure there is something that is capable of this e.g. ;like those bracelets that glow fluorescent if...

View more questions Search