Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Adrianpaul32 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 07:03 PM
    DIY vho lighting for an aquarium
    Hello, my name is Adrian, and I have been involved with aquariums for as long as I can remember. I always thought they were cool, and very relaxing to watch, receiving many satisfied years in the hobby. I have always had artificial plants in my tanks, and just recently, I decided to try my hand at live plants. Oh what a daunting task. Lighting, co2, fertalizers, specific plants requiring different things... I got overwhelmed. I started slowly, by first getting the substate of my 37 gallon tank. I used eco-complete. I picked some hearty plants, java fern, jungle vals, and another type of java fern. I got a DIY CO2 injection system using a 2 liter bottle, yeast, sugar, and a glass diffuser. Now, lighting. I have very little money to afford a PC (power compact) or any of the other way expensive light set ups. I have a standard (NO) fluorescent light, 20 watt, that is suppose to help with plant photosynthesis, but everything I have read says, more is better. So, I looked into (HO) and (VHO) and found these are really expensive as well. Wondering what the difference was, I found that it was mostly the ballast. How do I build a (VHO)set up, using the same fixture, just replacing the ballast and caps... if needed? I tried finding ballasts on the net, and found that most want you to buy an icecap ballast that run in the hundreds of dollars. I know there has to be an easier way. All I want is something that can handle a 75w VHO single bulb. Any suggestions?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 12:04 AM
    If you hurry, there is a 110W VHO ballast for ~$50 here: VHO/fluorescent ballasts Product List Page

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Aquarium [ 3 Answers ]

I like to start fresh water aquarium business in India what r all the steps to start this show more over I also like to export this fish over seas kindly kind me need help urgently...

Dying aquarium fish [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me,I am new to this fish aquarium keeping stuff. I have a 35 gallon tank, with fresh water fish, I had guppy's, zebra, tiger barb or what looks like,and molly lier tail {all non aggressive } bought from Petco. I also had a algae eater {which was 6" long } all die.I have had...

Drain setup for an aquarium [ 4 Answers ]

The bottom of my aquarium will be 18" off the floor and it will have 2 x 1.5" flex PVC drains connected to the bottom of an overflow box, that run into a sump that sits on the floor next to the tank. The sump is 24" tall so the water will actually flow to floor level to the sump then it will have...

Cloudy aquarium water [ 1 Answers ]

I have an already established aquarium, but cannot get rid of the cloudiness. The ph is Good. Christine

Aquarium water [ 2 Answers ]

I'm setting up a freshwater aquarium & I have "well water" that goes through a water softner... can anyone tell me if this will be okay to use in an aquarium? Thanks, "Ken" [email protected]

View more questions Search