Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcraig8 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2006, 11:17 PM
    Basement toilet drain 14" from wall :(
    Am tackling putting in a bathroom in the basement. Walls are already up, but I noticed now that the center of the drain for the toilet is around 14" from the studs (drywall yet to go on). Is a seemingly simple installation now going to be a more major undertaking? I'm relatively new at this and am getting some conflicting info on the appropriate distance that is appropriate. Is the best option an offset flange (guess I'd be hacking up the cement?) or is just going with it at this distance OK? I have not purchase a toilet yet so I have flexibility there. Any responses would be appreciated.
    Challenged in Edmonton
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 8, 2006, 06:48 AM
    12" off the finished wall is the distance we give to the center of the closet flange. if you install a regular toilet you will be 1 3'8" off the wall\ which isn't all that bad. But if it bothers you, rather then hassle a one inch offset flange, Eljer makes a 14" rough in toilet Called "The Emblem - E-5354 that you might consider installing. Good luck, Tom
    frankiedon53 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2013, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    12" off the finished wall is the distance we give to the center of the closet flange. If you install a regular toilet you will be 1 3'8" off the wall\ which isn't all that bad. But if it bothers you, rather then hassle a one inch offset flange, Eljer makes a 14" rough in toilet Called "The Emblem - E-5354 that you might consider installing. Good luck, Tom
    It's better that it's a little too far from the wall than too close.I would fill the space with a nice looking piece of wood as another option.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 16, 2013, 09:24 AM
    Not in this case, Frankie. If you were familiar with today's toilets you would know that a 14" rough in toilet will still leave a minimum of an inch between the wall and the back of the toilet tank... just perfect and no need for unsightly pieces of wood!

This post being from 2006, I figure they are all set! Please check the dates on the threads you post on... ;)

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 16, 2013, 10:25 AM
    Frankie,
    What with you and dead threads? It sure would be nice if you started to answer current questions. Look in the upper right-hand corner for the date before you post. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't find toilet drain in basement [ 5 Answers ]

Builder has exposed drain pipe for shower and wash-out drain against wall for vanity, yet no exposed toilet ring in cement floor. It is all stubbed down for water and air vents, but nothing visible for the toilet. We have drilled holes in the cement where we think the toilet will go with no luck....

When we flush the toilet our drain in basement overflows [ 6 Answers ]

Help! This is our first house , we are broke and our drain on the basement floor is overflowing with sewage when we flush the toilet. My husband tried to snake the drain but could'nt find the hole . I poured that Rid-X stuff down in the toilet . What else can we do? Please helP[ ...

Space between toilet drain and bathroom wall [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Tom, I'm in the process of framing my basement and the last thing I need to do is the bathroom. I think you've told me on here before that the center of the toilet drain to the wall should be 12 inches but when I measure the center to where I'll be putting the wall, based on where the...

Toilet/Washer/Drain in basement [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have had continually problems with my toilet (house bult 1960 - could be original toilet - not sure). I have had Roto Rooter out 2 times in 7 years, both times due to clogged sewer line - sewer backed up into basement. My problem is that when I run my washer, my toilet does not flush...

Toilet drain to Basement Sump pump [ 7 Answers ]

I want to add a bathroom in my basement. I was wondering if I could run my toilet drain into the sump pump hole. ( I have my own septic symstem and the drain leaving the house is 4ft. Above the basement floor). Also, would this need to be vented? The toilet would be about 6 to 8 ft. from the...

View more questions Search