Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    itin21 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 03:49 PM
    ITIN for H-4 but wife not in US currently
    It is the tax season folks and I have already figured out a big mistake on my part. I am on H-1b for more than 2 years and recently got married (Nov 2007). My wife was here till end of dec on H-4 and went to India. She might not come back before April. I forgot to get her passport copies notarized along with the I-94. I did make copies of the passport pages along with the I-94 departure record.

As I understand, for applying ITIN (W-7 form) for my spouse I have to submit notarized passport copies. I called up IRS today and the lady told me that only the page displaying the name, DOB, address and photo is required. I asked her about I-94 and she said its not required.

I want to again confirm with you guys if anyone has been in the same situation... there is a list of other docs that can also be submitted but passport is more safe (I think)...

Also, can I get the notary done in India as the passport is in India?

What are my options?

Thanks in advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 16, 2008, 07:40 PM
    If she is in India, she CAN get her passport photocopied and the photocopied certified as a true copy by the U.S. embassy or an office of the U.S. consulate, but I believe they CHARGE for the service.

Unfortunately, last year, the ITIN processing center in Austin, Texas did NOT take India-based notarizations or certifications by the Indian government.

Your other alternatives are:

- to submit the ACTUAL passport; you will get it back when they sent you're your wife's ITIN.

OR

- to wiat for your wife's return in April.

Jan 16, 2008, 10:12 PM
    How can I wait till April as it takes at least 6 weeks to process ITIN itself? Can I get federal and state filing extensions?

Also, what about other documents as mentioned in the w-7 form that can be used instead of notarized passport?

Please reply. Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 17, 2008, 08:16 AM
    Yes, you can file an extension for both the IRS and state.

You CAN use the OTHER documents, but you need AT LEAST two each of those documents, and they are MUCH MORE LIKELY to be rejected by the IRS ITIN Processing Center because they are so much easier to forge and much harder to verify.
    ashok_dara Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by itin21
    It is the tax season folks and I have already figured out a big mistake on my part. I am on H-1b for more than 2 years and recently got married (Nov 2007). My wife was here till end of dec on H-4 and went to India. She might not come back before April. I forgot to get her passport copies notarized along with the I-94. I did make copies of the passport pages along with the I-94 departure record.

As I understand, for applying ITIN (W-7 form) for my spouse I have to submit notarized passport copies. I called up IRS today and the lady told me that only the page displaying the name, DOB, address and photo is required. I asked her abt I-94 and she said its not required.

i want to again confirm with you guys if anyone has been in the same situation......there is a list of other docs that can also be submitted but passport is more safe (I think)....

Also, can I get the notary done in India as the passport is in India?

What are my options?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi,
    I am also having the same problem.
    Please let me know if you have got a solution.
    You can be in touch with me at [email protected]
    Ashok.
    ashok_dara Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 01:56 PM
    Hi

Apr 15, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Hello Ashok,
    I got the passport notarized from US EMbassy in Mumbai... was very quick and helpful... I got the ITIN for my wife too...
    Good Luck!
    topartho3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2009, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by itin21 View Post
    Hello Ashok,
    I got the passport notarized from US EMbassy in Mumbai....was very quick and helpful...I got the ITIN for my wife too.....
    Good Luck!!
    Hi I am in the same mess. Can you please tell me how to get it done ?

Thanks
    princedavidt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 04:27 PM
    Hi Please Confirm,

My Family was here for few months in L2 visa ; (Wife and Daughter) ; they returned to India few weeks back;

I don't have ITIN for my daughter, How can I apply for the same ?

1. Even if they are in India ; Am iIEligible for getting exemption for the dependants ?

2. Whether I94 is required for applying for ITIN
    vasu_rane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 03:20 AM
    How much the US consulate at mumbai charged you. And do you notarised the full copy of passport or the front and last page
    princedavidt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 08:23 AM
    They charged Rs.1650/- in Chennai Consulate, I t got done in few minutes.
    Only the Passport page is required for ITIN ? i.e. front page with DOB , name details ? Whether we need to notarize the visa page? And birth certificate etc ?
    konitari Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 12:12 AM
    Is it necessary that the person whose passport's photocopy is being notarized be present at the consulate? Can I have someone else take the passport and the photcopy to have it notarized?
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 02:14 PM
    U.S. embassies and consulates STOPPED certifying foreign documents (including passport photocopies) last year, so you must get the photocopy notarized by an Indian notary, then get an certificate of authenticity (called an apostille) from the Indian government agency which issued the passport.

You need BOTH (the notarization AND the apostille) to have the passport photocopy accepted by the IRS.
    konitari Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2010, 05:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    U.S. embassies and consulates STOPPED certifying foreign documents (including passport photocopies) last year, so you must get the photocopy notarized by an Indian notary, then get an certificate of authenticity (called an apostille) from the Indian government agency which issued the passport.

You need BOTH (the notarization AND the apostille) to have the passport photocopy accepted by the IRS.
    That is completely wrong information you have provided. I had my uncle, yes, my uncle go to the embassy with the physical passport of my dependent. The Mumbai embassy needed a sigend letter from me (fax was OK) stating why I needed the photocopy notarized from them, and why my uncle was carrying it (since my dependent is too old to travel) and a signed letter from my dependent stating that my uncle was authorized to posses the passport for the said purpose. Of course, I am a UCS so that might have helped--but I doubt that. The same should be true for LPR. Send an email to the consulate. They reply after about 7-10 days, but they do reply.
    amitkaria2k Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2010, 02:10 AM
    Hello itin21,

I want to get my wife's passport notarized from mumbai. Can you guide me.? Is there any website where I can get this info?

I would appreciate your reply
    Senior Tax Expert

May 4, 2010, 09:57 AM
    I can only quote the announcement made by the Department of State about their embassies and consulates NOT certifying foreign documents, which included passport photocopies.

Now, I have heard of cases where people HAVE gotten their documents certified at the U.S. embassy, but most of those who have tried have been turned away.
    joydubey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2010, 05:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by itin21 View Post
    Hello Ashok,
    I got the passport notarized from US EMbassy in Mumbai....was very quick and helpful...I got the ITIN for my wife too.....
    Good Luck!!
    Hey ITIN,

Couple of questions in the very same lines:

1. What should be the complete end-2-end process - I believe first get the Passport nortrized and then apply for ITIN with the help of Tax Consultant...DO you confirm
    2. Did you get the nortarization done at Mum?
    3. How many pages did you get nortarized?
    4. while applying for ITIN do I need to submit the passport of my wife also?

Please suggest. Thanks in anticipation.

Regards
    Joy
    Senior Tax Expert

May 24, 2010, 10:20 AM
    Yes, get the notarized copy of your WIFE's passport first. Make copies ONLY of the picture page.
    rroshan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2010, 02:02 PM
    Hi,
    I am in the same situation only difference being that we are still in US and moving to India next month. My questions are

1. Is it possible for me to get the document notorised here in US now and use the same next year for ITIN?
    2. Do I need to keep my US account active to get the refund next year? What are the alternatives?

Rakesh
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 3, 2010, 08:04 AM
    1) Yes. By all means, get the passport photocopies notarized HERE in the U.S. You can probably get it done at your local bank in about 10 minutes. If you live in California, it becomes a BIT more complicated because notary publics are NOT allowed to notarize photocopies, in which case you need to go to the local IRS office to have the photocopies certified as true copies by the IRS itself.

2) Yes, keep your U.S. bank account open. That way, you can have your tax refund (from BOTH the IRS and the state) direct deposited into that account, then have the bank wire the money to your Indian bank. This is a MUCH better alternative than trusting the Indian postal service to NOT lose your refund checks, something that happens with all too much frequency.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am on L1 having SSN, wife is on L2 having ITIN [ 2 Answers ]

I am on L1 having SSN, wife is on L2 having ITIN. I am working in a software firm, but wife is not working. I understand that I have to file jointly with my wife as a dependent. 1. Is my assumption right that, I have file jointly ? 2. What is the best practice to increase my tax exemptions ?...

ITIN for my Dependent Wife [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US for the first time on Auguest 28th 2006. I am on L1 visa and I have my wife and Child along with me. For IRS tax filing for 2006 , what is my status --Resideint Alien or Non Resident Alien ? Do we (me and wife) need to file Jointly? If yes while filing online , its...

Do I need to get ITIN for wife, she got converted form L2 to H4 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Recently I converted from l1 to h1, My wife was on l2 & had ssn, Since she got converted to H4 and we are filing taxes jointly do I need to apply for ITIN for her ? Regards Ss

About ITIN number for my wife [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My case: I'm on H1 since 2004. Got married in Nov2006. Came with wife to US in Dec2006. Wife on H4 Have to file taxes. How to apply for ITIN? Went to HRBlock they said go to IRS office to apply for her ITIN. What is the procedure? Thanks for help.

ITIN Number for my wife [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, After marriage, my wife came with me in Feb.2006.We were in Pennsylvania till July and then we relocated to Washington for new assignment. Should I file for ITIN for my wife now or wait till I get my W4 form in Jan-Feb 2007 and apply for ITIN alongwith tax returns. What are the...

View more questions Search