Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StudentBugs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Life Time Learning Educational Credit
    Hi,

My name is Bugs and I work at a University on a H1B visa. I am planning on going back to school part time.

I was told by a friend that I could claim some tax relief for my tuition and fees via the Life Time Learning Educational Credit program.

I have a few questions:

1) I am a resident of the state but I'm on a work visa. What does that make my status? A resident alien? A nonresident alien?

2) Am I eligible to apply for the LTLC?

Thanks!

Bugs
    toyota1068 Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Jan 31, 2008, 08:20 AM
    If you have to file Income Taxes than anyone can file for Lifetime Ed. Credit. Check with
    A Tax person in your area to be sure. Some places have Volunteers who do Taxes for free.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 10:56 AM
    When did you enter the U.S. on H1-B visa?
    If you are single, the during the first year in the U.S. you are normally a nonresident or dual status for tax purpose.
    During the second year you are resident for tax purpose. You are eligible for Life Time Learning Credit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lifetime Learning Credit [ 2 Answers ]

I am on H1-B Visa status and my spouse on H4 Visa status we had filed for 2006 as married filing jointly, now my spouse is on F1 -visa as a student. Can we continue to file as married filing jointly and claim my spouse as resident alien or my spouse has to file separately. Also can we claim for...

Learning to live 'MY' life. [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently initiated a divorce from my husband and I am trying to learn to live life by myself. I am starting over. It is the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. I am living in my parent’s basement and I wake up everyday and remember why I am there. I know that one day I will...

Learning new life [ 1 Answers ]

I am keen learn new survival tactics.I am divorcing my wife in the next 5 months and the separation we have had of 2 yrs hasn't helped anything. I have been frustrated to say the truth. We have 2 children whom I accept that I have reraly seen,cause most of the time they have been out of the...

View more questions Search