Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shawnenglish Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 10:41 AM
    52" TV keeps shutting off!
    My 52" panasonic projection TV keeps turning itself off for no apparent reason. The only way to get it to turn on again is to unplug it and turn it back on. Then it only stays on for a few seconds and shuts off again... HELP!!
    Questionshelp Posts: 153, Reputation: 1
    -

Jan 16, 2008, 10:46 AM
    My 52 RCA did the same thing a year back. I had to take it back and get a new one. They informed me it was a grounding problem. How old is your TV? I am only basing this off my 52 RCA I returned.

Jan 16, 2008, 10:55 AM
    TV is over 10 years old... What kind of grounding problem? Can it be fixed?
    Questionshelp Posts: 153, Reputation: 1
    -

Jan 16, 2008, 11:03 AM
    I don't know for sure if it can. See I don't know too much on TV's. I had to replace mine. Sorry. I am sure some one will help you out.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 16, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Shawn,

Why are you limiting the scope of the problem to the TV. What else is on along the circuit that the TV is plugging into. There could be a loose connection at the outlet you are plugging into. Other problems along the circuit. I suggest that you test and verify the entire circuit. Also, get a 15 amp extension cord and plug the TV into the extension cord and the cord into a different circuit.

Jan 16, 2008, 12:17 PM
    My first thought was supply voltage actually... I tried plugging into another outlet but maybe mybcord wasn't sufficient?

Jan 17, 2008, 09:09 AM
    Shawn,

Maybe your cord is defective. Move the connection to a different circuit. Or you could pay for the rental on a Dranet meter to monitor the outlet, way over the top for that one.

Jan 17, 2008, 09:17 AM
    Took it apart last night... it turns on but something is turning it off... do you think a bad cord?

Jan 17, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Shawn,

You took what apart? What did you find? Try something simple, don't go ripping stuff apart, you only get to lament about it later. :)

There are simple tests you can run, such as plugging in a radio to the possible failing outlet, leaving the radio on and listening for it to shut off. Plugging the TV into a another room's outlet and seeing it it stills goes OFF by itself.

Once you get the failure isolated to either TV or circuit, then you decide whether you want to play, electrician or electronic technician.

Or call a tech and get the problem fixed.

By the way, can you attach a schematic of the TV to this posting just in case we need it?

Jan 17, 2008, 09:33 AM
    I've tried 3 or 4 different outlets... but I will say that another TV plugged into the same outlet did thhe same thing... That being said, do you suppose a voltage problem has caused another problem?

Jan 17, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Shawn,

I'm trying to map out a failure for you. You just tossed a critical tidbit on the table.

You said another TV failed in a similar manner on the same outlet. That says the problem is staying with the circuit, not the TV.

Are you an electrician and can you do some circuit analysis for me? Also, where are you located?

Give me about an half hour so that I can move to a better place to sit and think then here in bed. I also need to take some meds and get something for lunch.

Jan 17, 2008, 09:50 AM
    I'm in ottawa canada... I've tested voltage at the breaker and at the outlet... there is a slight fluctuation in 'non-load' situations... haven't tested 'under load'... may do that tonight. Fluctuations range from 115v to 118v

Jan 18, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Shawn,

That's a pretty normal range. I believe here in the U.S. it is 120VAC +/- 10%. By it's very definition "AC" will fluctuate.

Can you determine if the "Line IN" to the TVs Power Supply is a "Switchable" power supply and if it has the same range (120 VAC +/- 10%) acceptance?

That would mean that your power supply monitor would not be affected by seeing a top voltage of 132 VAC (highest) to 108 VAC (lowest) range. Any SUSTAINED greater then 132 VAC could trip the switch on the TVs power supply.

If this were a suppl problem, then it would manifest itself in other ways. Periodicaly you might see the lights go a little brighter for a short period as the higher voltage works it magic.

Conversely, if it's a lower voltage problem, you would see the lights dim and then drop off.

One of the easiest tests I to take a radio, pug it in and crank it up. Now listen for the absence of tunes to see if the radio shuts off.

Also, if you are comfortable inside the outlets, kill the breaker and start making sure the outlets in that particular circuit are tight. Also check for alumn. Wiring. If the conductors are made of alumn. Then make sure they are fastened tightly to the receptacle and that the receptacle is made for alumn. Conductors.

DO NOT USE A COPPER RECEPTCALE WITH ALUMN. CONDUCTORS!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Can not "copy", "paste" and "cut" ! [ 2 Answers ]

Last week, my laptop was infected by virus, I sent for repair. After that, I couldn't find "copy" and "cut", and"paste" is in grey colour ! What have to do to have them back ? Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !

View more questions Search