Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lavenderly Posts: 88, Reputation: 23

Jan 16, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Should a woman wear a ring on her fourth finger?
    Please share your thoughts on this:

Should a woman who is not married, not engaged, not in a relationship, wear a ring on her fourth finger (ring finger)?

Women I know had said that they wear it for fashion. Sometimes that ring they love only has that size that fits the fourth finger. If women can wear a ring on any finger, why not the fourth?

Men I know had said that they will not approach a woman and will not flirt with her if they see a ring on her fourth finger. It is a form of courtesy. Is that true with all men?
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2008, 10:58 AM
    I do. I have no qualms about wearing a ring on any finger... I love bling. :)

It also does keep unwanted advances at bay and I do wear a diamond on my ring finger whenever I travel.
    little firefly Posts: 139, Reputation: 36

Jan 16, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Well, I wear one on my fourth finger if I want to give the impression that I'm taken so that I'll be left alone. Unfortunately it dosen't always work because some guys just don't seem to care.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2008, 11:05 AM
    From a guy's point of view... I don't approach a girl who has a ring on her fourth finger. It's not a courtesy thing... but to me, if it's a diamond ring or some sort of an engagement ring look-alike, then it means she's taken. And I'd rather not get into that drama.
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Jan 16, 2008, 11:07 AM
    I think people should be able to wear rings on whatever finger they want. Maybe they don't follow that marriage tradition.

I would totally use it as a way to fool men into thinking I'm taken.

Jan 16, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mafiaangel180
    I think people should be able to wear rings on whatever finger they want. Maybe they don't follow that marriage tradition.

I would totally use it as a way to fool men into thinking I'm taken.

What if u want to wear a ring on your fourth finger but u don't want others to think u are taken? Will others think you are not following marriage tradition? If so, how can wearing a ring on the fourth finger fool any men?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Some guys don't care whether you have a ring... nor will they care if you're even with the guy next to you.

I think I'm relatively observant, so I notice things like a ring. If the ring seems... somewhat fashionable and isn't an engagement/diamond ring, then I do approach her. If it resembles something like a diamond ring, then I don't.
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Jan 16, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderly
    What if u want to wear a ring on your fourth finger but u don't want others to think u are taken? Will others think you are not following marriage tradition? If so, how can wearing a ring on the fourth finger fool any men?
    The person can be seen as married--depending on the type of ring.

The thing is, you got to ask yourself what is more important to you. Do you do what you want by wearing the ring on the fourth finger? Or do you not wear it there just because "some guy" might not hit on you?

If you go out and see a guy you like and you think it might stand in the way, just take it off.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Like it or not, a ring on that finger means married to most people.

Is it OK for you to wear a ring there? Sure. Your body, your call.

But the reality is that most recognize what a ring on that finger usually means.

You have 9 other fingers. Can't one of the others do if you want to avoid confusion? What about the right hand "ring" finger?

Jan 16, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Haha... Yeah, what is it with the left ring or right ring finger? Many people seems to have different opinions about that. I believe that a ring on either ring finger could mean a person is taken. But does the left and right spells different meaning to whether it's a HE or a SHE? Is this knowledge common?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Common for it to be left for wedding. At least in my experience.

You are asking for opinions... my opinion is a woman with a ring on the right finger and not the left is less likely to be married. Were I single and interested, I wouldn't hesitate to approach a woman with the ring on her right hand.

I'm not saying someone might do the other... but nobody I know personally who is married wears their wedding ring on their right hand. Just my experience. Others might disagree.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Jan 16, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Well, I think most people will think that you aren't single if you wear a ring on that finger. I deal with the public at my job, and, before I was engaged, I used to always wear a ring on that finger just to keep people from asking me out at work. It seemed to work. Sometimes someone would just ask, 'Is that an engagement ring or are you single?".
    Momma to three Posts: 53, Reputation: 14

Jan 17, 2008, 04:26 AM
    I never did, but I think it's just a matter of personal choice. I always wanted to save that finger for my engagement and wedding rings only. I didn't want to treat those as just two other rings to wear, but wanted them to be VERY special to me... the only rings I ever wore on that finger. But that doesn't make it wrong for other women to wear other rings on that finger.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fourth time's a charm? [ 52 Answers ]

Multiple threads merged I'll soon be 21.I've only had three boyfriends in my entire life.my first relationship lasted only one month-he left me for his ex girlfriend;the second one-two months or so,he left me because I wouldn't have sex with him(I was a virgin,you see,and was I scared because I...

What kind of jewelry should I wear for belly ring ? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm curious because I'm some what kind og allergic to some metals. Also I'm not sure on what kinds of metals. I want to put a new one but I don't want the hole to get infected. What kind og metal should I put?

What's the difference between a comitment ring and an engagement ring? [ 13 Answers ]

Can someone please help me here I was wondering what's the difference between a commitment ring and an engagement ring?

A-1 Photography fourth Edition [ 1 Answers ]

:) I am taking accounting online which is makes it a bit harder to understand. The A-1 Photography project is very confusing. I am not sure what answered sheet to use! The project is 25 problems & I am having a hard time just starting the 1st problem please help! May you have a marvelous week!

View more questions Search