Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ddarula Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 07:50 AM
    How to find out if bio-father gave up parental rights?
    Just found out this weekend the name of my bio-father. Bit & pieces of the story have been shared over the years. Mom & Dad will not discuss this topic w/me. I am 50 yrs. Old. Need medical history.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 16, 2008, 10:10 AM
    In 1957, he may not have needed to. There wasn't exactly a paternity test back then!

So are you looking to contact him? I understand you need some medical information---but I guess I'm not sure what exactly it is you're asking us for help with!
    ddarula Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 11:06 AM
    I know name & possibly the address of the man named as my father. Because my mom & dad won't talk about this matter, I am having to search this out myself. With some help from my aunt. We did locate him this weekend. My husband called his home & spoke w/him. We believe this is the correct man, correct age, same occupation as I was told about but he does not remember my mom's man. I was told he may have signed away his parental rights. But this could also be a lie. I thought maybe I could do some more research in that direction. But don't really know how or where to look? I have never had access to a "regular" birth certificate. Just a document w/a sealed and signed by a doctor in 1964. I was born in 57. Does anyone have any advise or direction for me?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 16, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Do you have your birth MOTHER's name? Is there a way to contact HER? She may have more information for you.

I also know that since it was 50 years ago, many people would want to let their "past" lie undisturbed, and may not want to admit paternity, for fear of the conflict it would bring their current family. I understand you need this for medical information, just letting you know you've got an uphill road!

Now.. you could post on sites that have matching capabilities (such as adoption.com).

You could also contact the hospital you were born in, and the adoption agency used. They may have more information.

If this is for medical information, why are your parents refusing to discuss it with you? I would think that they'd encourage you to look if it could improve your health!

As far as that goes, actually--are you looking because of a health issue? Is this something that could improve your health for knowing? If that's the case, you may be able to petition the courts to open your records.

Sorry if I'm not much help--my experience with adoption is MUCH more recent. I wish you the best of luck, though, and hope that someone else may be able to offer more help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does father have parental rights? [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently in Texas, my daughter was born in IL. I got pregnant at 16, he was 18. He is not on the birth certificate. Does not support her and does not visit her or show any real interest in her. She is now two years old. He does however, have a DNA test proving she is his. Does he have legal...

Father parental rights? [ 7 Answers ]

I havent seen my son in about 5 years or so even though we live a stone throw away. I have always acknowledged him with each birthday and xmas too. He is seven years of age and my ex partner has a new life as I do too. I have tried to hide my pain over these years hoping she'd have the decency...

Father wants to relinquish parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania. My daughter is almost 6 years old. Her biological father has not seen her since she was 12 days old but he has been paying child support for about 6 months now. I've been remarried for 4 1/2 years and my daughter has known my new husband as her father since she was 7...

If a person gave up their parental rights, can they take you to court for visitation? [ 7 Answers ]

We adopted a child about 3 years ago and she was almost 5 yrs old. But the father who gave up his rights and let us adopt her is demanding visitation and said he is going to take us to court and try to get visitation. We use to allow him to see her but he isn't psychologically stable and it's not...

Estate claims on a father who gave up parental rights. [ 5 Answers ]

My father gave up parental rights when I was a small child. As a teenager I relocated him and we started a relationship that continued for the next 20 years. He recently passed away with no will. Did his signing his rights away also void any chance of my having a claim to part of his estate?

View more questions Search