Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sevans5108 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2006, 05:51 PM
    20 layers of paint!!
    Purchased a 100 yr. old home... need to save $ with DIY projects... does anyone have a recommendation of the absolute best product to remove some 20 layers of paint on bannisters/doors/frames? Thanks a bunch.:
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 7, 2006, 07:15 PM
    There are poducts out that work well. Don't know about 20 layers. Maybe repeat many times. Just remember about the old lead paint you'll be removing. Be safe and no eating the paint chips! Someone here should be able to give a good way.
    wheatnbarley24 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Jan 7, 2006, 11:15 PM
    I recently refinished my cabinets. I founf a paint and varnish remover made by Citri Strip. It has no harsh fumes, easy to app;y and does a pretty goood job.it took at least four coats of polyuerathane off at one time
    dv320 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2006, 08:54 AM
    20 years of paint
    Hi

Ask your friends ,hardware stores ,antique stores ,when you here the same from everybody about one product chances are that's the one.Everybody likes different products,Ask or call a furniture restorer he may help.

Hope this suggestion helps
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Jan 11, 2006, 09:23 AM
    Heat
    For parts you can move outside, I found the best way to get most of the paint off is with heat. 5F5 chemical stripper finished the job to totally bare wood. I did this with some doors from my 110-year old house. The heat was more quick and much less messy than chemicals for the really thick layers.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2006, 10:25 AM
    Paint Removal
    What ever chemical remover you choose, inside remember about the fumes, Citric stri is good, It is a long,slow procedure, but worth it. Suggestion, once you apply the stripper, wrap it in cheesecloth, this will help heep the stripper moist and work better, approx 20 minutes between coates.
    My,better half and I have been restoring furniture for 20 years, so never rush.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2006, 11:26 AM
    All great suggestions. Yes, heat is very good for serious jobs, but you'll need a heat gun.

If you try a stripping product, be sure to look for the Gel type that will stick to the slanted surface of a banniser. Some of them are watery, making it hard to use on slanted bannisters or vertical pieces.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lead paint [ 2 Answers ]

Does any one know what year they stopped using lead paints? I have some old matchbox cars I would like to give to my kids but don't want to give the ones that might contain lead paint.

Paint color => new -v- old [ 5 Answers ]

We repainted a wall in our home. We used some paint remaining from the past (painted 4 years ago). Our intent was to keep a gallon for touch ups. However, the paint is lighter, in color, than the surrounding walls. Same paint, same mix lot. Painted 24 hours ago. Will it darken?

Tar vs. Paint Chipping... [ 2 Answers ]

There has been some tar on my front bumper, on the part even with the hood of the car (engine, etc... ) I went today November 7, 2005 to go wash the whole car anyway cause it was dirty, While I was using the high pressure rinse on the tar area, I noticed the was some paint chipping occurring. What...

Layers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm wondering if it is possible to centre a layer according to the size of the browsers window like a centre table would. Many Thanks, John

View more questions Search