Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mred Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Jan 16, 2008, 06:02 AM
    Scared of practicing medicine
    Being a doctor wasn't really my dream but a choice that I had to make to fulfill my parents' dreams. As I waded through large volumes of medical books and survived the ordeals of each sleepless duty, I learned to love the profession, my friends, and my patients. Somehow I knew then that I should be thankful that my parents put me through medical school.

Little did I know that the biggest nightmare of my medical career was just about to come. Halfway through medical internship, I contracted a neurologic illness that nearly shattered all my dreams of becoming a doctor. I might have physically recovered from the illness in six weeks but I remained emotionally and socially tortured when I got back to my clinical duties. I continued to lag behind my peers and lose interest in any clinical work. I guess being competitive ever since I was a child did not become healthy after all.

I had a relapse of my illness and was cleared by my neurologist to take the medical licensure examination at a time later than my peers. After passing the examinations, I juggled through jobs as medical reviewer and medical lecturer, which up to this day are the positions I'm still holding. My superiors, peers, and students ask me why I ain't practicing medicine. I always reply that it will be very soon. Until now, I haven't applied to any residency training. At the back of my mind, I have apprehensions that I might not be a good medical practitioner. I haven't been training in two years and I fear that I might not be able to remember the skills I barely acquired in medical school. How do I overcome this fear? How do I learn to love the medical profession again as I used to?
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Jan 24, 2008, 03:58 PM
    There are plenty of careers in medical fields that are non-clinical. Being a medical reviewer and medical lecturer are two examples. Also, there's the health care administration field - hospital executives are paid well, and have important & responsible positions. Most of what I see in your question relates to what you don't like about the profession: you say you love it, what *do* you love about it? Sounds like it's something other than clinical work... the people contact? Teaching/mentoring? Research? Administration & management? Maybe you could think outside the box of purely clinical work and see what other sorts of roles you could play in the medical profession.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to know name of a medicine [ 1 Answers ]

I found some old pills that are 2 different shades of brown. It is a capsule and on one half it has a square with the letter M in it and under that it has 5mg, then on the other half it has the numbers 0554. What are these? I forgot what I had them for.

Use of medicine [ 1 Answers ]

Why Nextico 5 is used

Regarding a medicine [ 1 Answers ]

Is a medicine d-cold sold in india a banned drug

Medicine [ 3 Answers ]

I take Niastan for chlorestral. My favorite adult beveridge is vodka and grapefruit. I have just heard this combination can have a deleterious effect on my liver. I am talking only about 4-6 drinks weekly. Thanks. Ed

Should I use medicine? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I am married and really love sex with my wife. I have a small problem. When we are finished for once or twice at night I still want more more more….but my thing doesn’t erect. What I have to do? Should I go for erection medicine? I think this is not for my age. I am 30 years old. Please...

View more questions Search