Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AnotherPauline Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 04:24 AM
    DISHWASHER and water pressure
    I just had a dishwasher hooked up and the water pressure in the kitchen sink hot water spigot has dropped drastically.

My plumber added a kind of “V” connector to the hot water supply line to supply hot water to the sink and to the dishwasher.

Now the dishwasher seems to fill all right but the hot water pressure in the sink is less than half of what it was even when the dishwasher is off.

My plumber says it's to be expected when you put an addition on the supply line.

Is he right? If he is, can anything be done to boost the water pressure?

Pauline
    Questionshelp Posts: 153, Reputation: 1
    -

Jan 16, 2008, 06:11 AM
    How was the v connector Installed? Some fitting may lose water pressure if installed incorrectly. On a scall for 1 being the worst and 10 being the water pressure you had before the fitting was installed. What would you rate it?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 16, 2008, 07:05 AM
    My plumber says it's to be expected when you put an addition on the supply line.
    Is he right? If he is, can anything be done to boost the water pressure?
    HORSE HOCKEY! Your plumber told you that just to get you off his back. TAN'T SO! When the dishwasher isn't filling you should have the same pressure at the sink as you normally would. Think about it!
    Let me tell you what I think has happened.
    When the plumber teed off the sink hot water supply he disturbed minerals built up in the pipe walls. When you made a draw from the sink you drew the crud up into your faucet where it's now clogging the hot water inlet ports of the cartridge. The solution would be to shut the water off under the sink, open up the faucet, remove the cartridge and check and clean out the inlet ports. Before you button up turn the hot water back on for a moment to flush out the hot water supply and the valve body. Reassemble and test. Pressure better now? Good luck, Tom

Jan 16, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    HORSE HOCKEY!! Your plumber told you that just to get you off his back. TAN'T SO!! When the dishwasher isn't filling you should have the same pressure at the sink as you normally would. Think about it!!
    Let me tell you what I think has happened.
    When the plumber teed off the sink hot water supply he disturbed minerals built up in the pipe walls. When you made a draw from the sink you drew the crud up into your faucet where it's now clogging the hot water inlet ports of the cartridge. The solution would be to shut the water off under the sink, open up the faucet, remove the cartridge and check and clean out the inlet ports. Before you button up turn the hot water back on for a moment to flush out the hot water supply and the valve body. Reassemble and test. Pressure better now? good luck, Tom

Thanks!! I THOUGHT SO!

He also hooked up my clothes washer connections using a clear glue on the cpvc pipe instead of the yellow or blue glue that the previous plumbers used.

Will these connections hold or will I soon see 2" of water flooding the basement?

AnotherPauline

Jan 16, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Questionshelp
    How was the v connector Installed? Some fitting may lose water pressure if installed incorrectly. On a scall for 1 being the worst and 10 being the water pressure you had before the fitting was installed. What would you rate it?

I'd say it was about a "2".

AnotherPauline
    Questionshelp Posts: 153, Reputation: 1
    -

Jan 16, 2008, 09:44 AM
    It looks like Tom has you covered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strange supply pressure problems after installing dishwasher [ 6 Answers ]

This one has me completely confused. I installed a dishwasher in an island setup across from the main sink in the kitchen. I have added 1/2 inch copper piping from my hot water line under the kitchen sink in the basement. I tapped into the hot line going up to the kitchen sink. Total length was...

Low Water Pressure At Kitchen Sink/Dishwasher [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, If the water pressure at the kitchen sink is low will this affect the function of a dishwasher? My dishwasher goes through all of the cycles but it doesn't seem to fill up with enough water and also the washer cycle doesn't work. Could this be a result of the low water pressure?

Low water pressure at kitchen sink/dishwasher [ 1 Answers ]

If the water pressure at the kitchen sink is low will this affect the function of a dishwasher? My dishwasher goes through all of the cycles but it doesn't seem to fill up with enough water and also the washer cycle doesn't work. Could this be a result of the low water pressure?

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search