Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keela_z Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 12:39 AM
    Online diploma
    I recently got scammed by the "online school" called belford high school.
    I was wondering how do you know if the school is not a scam? And if anyone knows of any schools that are actually telling the truth. I don't want to pay anymore money to scammers. Thank you
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 16, 2008, 01:22 AM
    Find out who they claim to be accredited by, and then check with the regional accrediting agencies to verify their accreditation. Only schools accredited by one of the regional accrediting agencies have credits that will transfer to other schools, as a general rule.

Make SURE the wording is exact on the accreditation. Some schools will switch around the wording to make it sound the same--as in, they'll say they're the Middle States Association of Technical Colleges rather than the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools

Regional Accreditation for Online Schools - The 6 Regional Accreditors

There is a list of the regional agencies.

Remember, a school can be accredited by a specific profession's accrediting agency, but you are not likely to get federal financial aid or be able to transfer credits if it is not a Regional Agency.

You can also check with the US Dept. of Eduction as to whether a not a school is valid.

As far as online schools go--there aren't that many I would recommend offhand. University of Phoenix is one. Devry is another.

Depending on what you are getting your degree in, though, you may find that distance learning is NOT going to work. For instance--a biology degree SHOULD require lab time, in an actual lab, with an actual professor. Any school that promises you differently is probably scamming you. Same for nursing--if you're not actually doing hands-on work to get a degree, you are probably being scammed.

Common sense should prevail---and if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
    keela_z Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 02:32 AM
    Thank you!
    Do you know if Excel high school online is a scam?
    I'm looking into that school, but need to know if it is telling the truth.
    It says it's a member of the BBB, and I checked the bbb website, and they're telling the truth.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 16, 2008, 09:39 AM
    I'm so sorry... I misread your original question as if it were a college, not a high school.

If they are a member of the BBB, they are probably NOT a scam. You might also check with your state's requirements for high school graduation, and see if the online school you are looking at meets those requirements.

As far as the specific school you mentioned--do you have a link? I was unable to find them just typing that name into a search engine.
    OnlineDegreeExpert Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 05:46 PM
    There are several easy ways to tell if an online college is real or fake.
    First, determine if it is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Dept
    Of Education; if it isn't it is likely a diploma mill. More than 300 online degree mills offer "college degrees online" these days but are either not accredited or are accredited by fake agencies. Consult the free online service, The Diploma Mill Police, at GetEducated.com. This free service chronicles more than 300 fake colleges and issues free reports and consumer warnings on online education scams. FYI: Belford University is listed in GetEducated.com's Diploma Mill Police database. Check their report and their URL and state of residence to see of this is the same school you speak of.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Well as for as bedford, of course they show on tiher web site they are not accredited by any group reconised by the US board of education.

The other way if you get a degree or dipolma without any study merely by sending them money it is always fake.

Next the only excel I could find was the one that was not online, Often some online schools make similar names to real schools.
    An being a BBB member does not make them a real school, it only means they pay the BBB fee and will normally refund money in a dispute

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Online diploma [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a accredited/legal online university that offers a diploma based on life experience/job experience?

Can I get into college with a online high school diploma? [ 11 Answers ]

I want to go to college but did not finish the 12th grade. Probably 1-2 credits shy. I am 29 now, married with a child! I want to go to college and get my life on track! Can I get into college with an online high school diploma? Which would you recommend? What is a life experience diploma?

Online high school - diploma [ 7 Answers ]

My son, age 18, had to withdraw recently from public high school in CT due to medical/psychological reasons. His grade have dropped significantly this past year or so, but credit-wise he is only short .5 (half) a credit in English 4. His doctor could write a letter requiring the school to provide...

High School diploma online courses? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay well I didn't finish my 12th grade year because I was dealing with my daughter and didn't have much help so I didn't finish. I don't have the time to go to school now and when I go to the adult learning centers they don't help whatsoever. I post on this site about other subjects and wanted to...

Online High School Diploma [ 3 Answers ]

Can I get a high school diploma online for free

View more questions Search