Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gadawgfan Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2006, 02:06 PM
    Transferring my emails to Outlook Express
    I had to format my hard drive and before I did that I saved all of my emails using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP Home Edition. The Wizard created a folder called USMT2.unc with two files in it. One is a DAT file called IMG00001 that's 189,959KB, and the other is a file called STATUS and is 1KB. When I try to use the wizard to transfer the info I get a message that says "the location that you specified does not contain stored information, Please type a valid path to a folder. I know that this worked because I have used it in the past.

Please help if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
    Mark
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Jan 7, 2006, 08:30 PM
    Hi <Mark,

If you need to restore the Outlook Express Data (or open the backup on another PC), simply start the "File and Transfer Wizard", select NEW Computer and point the wizard to the "Usmt2.unc" folder. Please note that this will overwrite any existing Outlook Express settings.

Hope this helps!
    Whiskey14

Jan 8, 2006, 07:54 AM
    Thanks for your post - I tried that and I get the same message, "the location that you specified does not contain stored information, Please type a valid path to a folder". I know the files are there but it seems that the wizard does not recognize them.

Jan 8, 2006, 05:42 PM
    Sorry I don't know what else to suggest.

Whiskey14

Jan 8, 2006, 06:12 PM
    Thanks for your help Whiskey - Hopefully someone else will be able to help identify my problem. Again I appreciate the try.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 10, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Sorry I didn't see your response. I hadn't answered this question because I've never used the method you used to make the copy. It is definitely not the method I would have used. There are much better options.

You would need to use the wizard to try to extract the files since the wizard created them in the first place. You might try asking Microsoft for help or lookup File and Trasfer Settings at support.microsoft.com.

Jan 10, 2006, 07:08 AM
    Thanks Scott - This is driving me crazy. Do you think I changed a setting or something when I formatted my drive? What method would be rock solid in backing up me emails - I have a lot of important data I need to restore.

Jan 10, 2006, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gadawgfan
    Thanks Scott - This is driving me crazy. Do you think I changed a setting or something when I formatted my drive? What method would be rock solid in backing up me emails - I have alot of important data I need to restore.
    To back up Outlook Express emails I would use this method:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670/en-us

Jan 10, 2006, 09:48 AM
    GUESS WHAT?? I hate computers sometimes but there is a joy when you finally figure out what's wrong. The reason I could not get it to indentify the file is because I failed to load in Service Pack II. This was one of the updates from Windows. Just think of the problem if you were on the road and needed to download this info on another computer - It drove me crazy. I will investigate your method and I'm sure it will be more reliable. I thank everyone for their time and help and hope this helps the next person that experiences this problem.

Jan 10, 2006, 10:17 AM
    Hi there,

Glad you solved the problem! I would have backed up OE as Scott mentioned also but in my eyes, that was an after the fact solution - it didn't or couldn't help you at this time.

Thanks for sharing the information.

Have a great day!
    Whiskey14

Jan 10, 2006, 11:41 AM
    Ahh that makes sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook Express [ 3 Answers ]

I'm running XP on my home computer. Since one of my sons "tweaked something" I can see messages (properties show full message is there) in the in box but the preview pane is empty. Similarly if you open the message the main message box is empty. If you print the e mail it shows attachments present...

Transferring my Outlook Express Files [ 2 Answers ]

I guess I should have looked and placed this post under the right topic. Anyway I had to format my hard drive and before I did that I saved all of my emails using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP Home Edition. The Wizard created a folder called USMT2.unc with two files in it....

Outlook express [ 13 Answers ]

hi pals i have installed the outlook express now it asks me the incomming server and outgoing server if i want to access my yahoo or gmail mails then what is my pop server and smtp server?? :confused:

Urgent Help! How To Transfer My Outlook Express Containing My Emails From Old Pc [ 16 Answers ]

HELP PLEASE URGENT! Tomorrow I am purchasing my first Apple Mac Mini. I would appreciate very easy instructions, if possible, on what I need to do, how can I transfer all of my emails that I have in my Outlook Express, which has emails via my provider, to the new Mac Mini I am getting?? Is it very...

View more questions Search