Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rob453 Posts: 34, Reputation: 2
    -

Jan 15, 2008, 09:42 PM
    What do u think about my roommate?
    We live in the same room in dorms.

He goes to school only 2 times a week. He sits on computer all day, from the time when he wakes up until he goes to bad.
    He never makes himself food, he alwas either go to cafeteria or orders food by phone/online for delivery.
    He sleeps under coat and smells badly, especially when he is in the room. Its been many months and so far he did not change bed.
    He is overweight, and snores when he sleeps.
    What he does on computer most of the time is playing video games.
    He rarely takes a shower.
    He has long hair, never cuts.
    When he uses keyboard, he "plays" on it like Chopin. He strikes keyboard very hard and chaotic.
    He recently switched slepping position and now he lies his head closer toward my feet.
    The only way he talks with people, most of the time is through AIM.
    He throws his clothes all around room.
    Isn't that creepy? Have u ever had a lazy roommate like that?
    mrs perry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 09:53 PM
    Look he is nasty that wrong to say about people ,but it also seems like he needs hhelp if he stays on computer all day and all night and I never had anyone like that that would room with me:eek:
    rob453 Posts: 34, Reputation: 2
    -

Jan 15, 2008, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs perry
    look he is nasty that wrong to say about people ,but it also seems like he needs hhelp if he stays on computer all day and all night and i never had anyone like that that would room with me:eek:
    I don't think I will be able to change him being slob or his sloppy manner. At least its not easy. He seems like to interact with people in unnatural way. For example when I study or watch TV, each time he goes across the room he nods at me, even though he nodded and I nodded or greeted him back a while ago on the same day. Its like to shake someone's hand in the morning at school and then doing it again in another few minutes.
    Kiwigal Posts: 18, Reputation: 4

Jan 15, 2008, 10:17 PM
    Had a flatmate like that a while ago, but since he was in our house, we were able to lay down some rules to try to improve things. Personal hygiene etc, is always hard though - you can't exactly make them take a shower or cut their hair.

All I can suggest is if it starts to affect you personally (or becomes a major issue), see if you can change dorm rooms somehow. Good Luck - it's not easy living with someone in such close quarters when there are hygiene and other personal issues.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2008, 10:28 PM
    I had a roommate in college who was a bit "off"...

Socially inept. Bad clothes. Only listened to Rush and Rocky Horror Picture Show for music. Bred fish in the dormroom for money.

He wasn't a bad guy. Just not my cup o java.

So... get over it. You aren't married to him. Soon enough, the year will be over and you can move on.

Some of what you mentioned is petty... I mean snoring?? Yes, it bothers you, but can you really judge a person for snoring?

So you don't have the rock star roommate you'd like. He's likely to scare the girls away. OK.

What are your options? Unless you can find another schmuck who is willing to swap rooms (and I know people who did this in college) you just bide your time.

Truth is, in "real life" you still sometimes get stuck on a project team with a person like that. You still get assigned work with people you don't care for. Its not the worst thing to learn how to cope.

And if its just too much, hang at a girlfriends place or at other friends rooms.

Just don't spend too much of your time making fun or judging him. He's still a person, even if he could use a shower and a haircut more than once a quarter.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Jan 30, 2008, 02:25 PM
    I suggest that you talk to your hall director or RA or whomever is in charge at the dorm and ask for a change of roomates. This guy is doing nothing for you, much less for himself. School is supposed to be a time of growth and should be a fun and energetic environment. He sounds like a pain in the rear end.

I would also suggest that the RA get the kid some help. HIs behavior sounds like he could be suffering from depression. A lot of depressed people escape into sleep, games, television and disconnect from their responsibilities. They can also get lazy about personal care as you've described.

He can get help without being your roommate though, and not to be rude, but school is expensive and a once in a lifetime experience - if it's not working for you, you need to ask for a change.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Get another roommate if you are unhappy with your present slobmate. This guy should not be allowed to continue with this kind of behavior whether you are his roommate or not. I cannot imagine what kind of good he is doing for himself only going to class 2 days a week unless this is a way for his parents to "park" him on someone else for them to babysit their darling as they have too much money and not enough time to spare for him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate Problems: How to Deal with crazy Roommate [ 4 Answers ]

I have a roommate who is 52 years old (Japanese/American bon in US). He was pretty good roommate from Aug 2001, just because he never lived in apt until end of July, I think. He was living with his girlfriend whole time but he came back once a while but he never stayed no longer than 1 week....

Landlord/Roommate added roommate without discussion [ 8 Answers ]

My roommate is my landlord. Recently he decided to add roommate to the house. I was never asked,nor was it discussed in any way with me. Two days before the new guys moved in I got a phone call that said, we’re getting a new roommate. He moved into the room next to mine right on time. We, me...

VA Roommate needs to go... [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I've read through many of the well informed responses on this board and I've perused the Virginia Landlord-Tenant law but am still a bit unclear on a few legal points and wouldn't mind some legal or general advice from people who've had similar experiences. I am a single, 30 year old male...

Roommate vs. Roommate evicitions ? [ 13 Answers ]

I am on a lease to rent a room. I found another person to rent the other room. I have lived at this house for 3 years. He has lived here for two months. I want him out because he is a nuisance. My rights as a tenant does not specifically state me as a Principle Tenant, but I've been here the...

View more questions Search