Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vivalaleta Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 09:36 PM
    Lost all I own in storage "dispersal"
    Help me please! Does anyone know if I have any recourse in this? I can't believe they didn't have to call or send me a letter. I could not help missing a payment. All my children's and my things over a lifetime were in there! Is there any grace period for those in disastrous situations?
    Decorate Now Patterns Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jan 27, 2008, 09:10 PM
    Your best bet is to find your original contract. The terms are spelled out there. Since they set the terms, then they are required to follow them exactly. For example, if it says they have to notify you, then they have to. However, if it says you waived your right of notification, then you might have no recourse unless state law says otherwise.

Also call your state's attorney general to find out the laws concerning how long they have before they can sell the items, etc. State laws trump contract terms. For example, if abandoned property laws state that an ad must be placed or the owner notified--then they would have to do that.

You'd only have recourse if they violated their contract terms or violated state law.

I'm sorry.
    moveman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vivalaleta
    Help me please! Does anyone know if I have any recourse in this? I can't believe they didn't have to call or send me a letter. I could not help missing a payment. All my children's and my things over a lifetime were in there! Is there any grace period for those in disasterous situations?
    Assuming this is a moving company, they have to make sereral attempts via certified mail to resolve this. If after a period, they have to list in a local paper that the storage lot has been deliquant and will be for sale. Ask for proof that they attempted to contact you, they have to have it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 08:17 PM
    If this is one of those U store it places, they operate under state laws, each state varies, normally they have to noify you, often this is done by publishing in the news paper what units are being sold off in some states.
    If you were not going to be able to pay for a month, you needed to go in and see if you could work a deal out with them, if not move your iteas out.

At this point if they are already sold off, there is nothing to do, that can get them back.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 08:30 PM
    What exactly happened? You missed one single payment and that's all? Have your belongings been dispersed as a result? I would certainly think that for being behind in only one payment they would have had to notify you and grant you a grace period before dispersing your belongings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Latin translation for "Friends, we've lost a day." [ 3 Answers ]

"Friends, we've lost a day." to indicate that the group has wasted time

Title of song from TV show "lost." [ 1 Answers ]

I heard a song the TV show "lost".It aired in Oct. or Nov. 2006. It was from female artist,some of the lyrics were "a little bit slower because your much to fast".It was at the into. Of the show.

Follow Up to " I need Help. I am simply lost and hurt again" 9/5 post [ 13 Answers ]

First off, I want to thank Val, Philly, and others who posted and gave their honest opinions on this topic. I was recently in a very bad auto accident and spent nearly a week in the hospital and half of the time in a coma. My sister took my phone and tm'd everybody on my list about my condition...

View more questions Search