Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ahogg78 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 04:34 PM
    Forced to go 'on call' or risk disciplinary action!
    I work for a large organisation that provides caretakers in my local area. I work part time at a school and there has recently been a "staff consultation" to determine if the introduction of 'on call' measures would be a good idea. Previously all caretakers were pretty much an call all of the time, and were it not that the first responded then an agency caretaker would respond.

Now however the large organisation wants to give each employed caretaker four weeks a year where he must agree to respond to a call out or risk disciplinary proceedings.

I now feel if I continue to work there, I will be forced to take the mobile every where I go for those weeks.. to the loo, the garden.. etc (im not being paid anymore except when I'm called out!). I therefore have no freedom to go anywhere those weeks.

Post consultation, to which I raised my fervant objection, they wrote to me to tell me the proposal has been approved. I now feel I have to resign - can they do this?

ANy advice appreciated!

J.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 05:03 PM
    J,

Suck it up and make a good faith effort at trying to make the new system work. You might actually like how it shakes out. If you don't want to be bothered for a few moments, turn the beeper off!

The last 14 years I spent with IBM as a field technician all of the copier techs were placed on rotation. If a call came in, our department manager would start down his list of techs until he found some one to take the call. We were paid a guaranteed 4 hours pay from the instant we said yes until we got home. Also, if it took longer that 4 hours, we had our choice of taking the flat fee or the overtime rate, whichever was higher
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Yes unless you have a union contract or a perosnal contract with them, they can change your hours, your duties, your job descritpion and your pay anytime they wish. You may wish to find new employment before you change jobs, since the job market is tighter now and often starting pay is not as high as an employee who has been there a while.

Often as employees we have to do some things we don't like, And of course many employees are always on the road and on call.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Four weeks a year and you are already griping about this? Try being on call 26 weekends a year, not to mention being on call 5 days out of the week after 3 p. m. to the next day at 7 a.m.

I say suck it up. I do question though, the non payment of the on call. I would check that out to find out if that is legal.
    Ahogg78 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Four weeks a year and you are already griping about this? Try being on call 26 weekends a year, not to mention being on call 5 days out of the week after 3 p. m. to the next day at 7 a.m.

I say suck it up. I do question though, the non payment of the on call. I would check that out to find out if that is legal.
    Im guessing you're paid a little more than the £6 an hour I get, but thanks to both of you, things are much clearer now. I guess they really can just change things as and when - I simply resent being told Im doing something new that effects my freedom at home and if I don't comply I'll be disciplined. Fact is I wouldn't do it for £100 an hour, life is too short :)

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, much obliged to you!

J.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2008, 04:43 AM
    No, that was back when I was not making that much at all - less than $3.00 an hour and nothing for being on call, except when I was actually called in.

If you resent this so much, then perhaps it is best you look for another supplemental income.

Jan 16, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Sorry, I have no idea what I was making at the time.

However, I was married with one child, I held a second job at Sears and a third job by way of officiating, Baseball, Basketball, Softball and American Football.

I started making $400. Dollars a month ($4,800 per year (USD)) in 1967. I retired in 2005, at $86,750 per year, plus a yearly bonus.

Regardless, of the salary, the demands of the job required 24 hour service on some products. So be it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahogg78
    I now feel I have to resign - can they do this?
    Hello Ahogg:

They can.

Advising you to SUCK it up has no place on the legal board.

excon

Jan 16, 2008, 08:39 AM
    excon,

That was me who first postulated that statement on this thread. While I agree in principle that this is certainly not a legal view, this is not yet a legal situation and might not yet belong in this board.

Is there a board here for employer / employee relations?

By the way, nice catch! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How efficient is it to convert gas forced air to electric forced air? [ 1 Answers ]

I am afraid of a gas furnace, for fear of an explosion. I have had this fear since I was a little boy. Hence, I simply must have an electric heating system. However, the area in the MidWest where I have been considering has almost no electric homes, mostly because of the high electric rates...

A call to action? [ 4 Answers ]

Over in Germany the anticapitalist and antiimperialist protests are ongoing. Today and tomorrow is "Actionday against war, militarization and torture." Other planned protests/events are: United States Social Forum Katrina Survivors Forum Free Roaming Human- Cross-Country on Foot for Wild...

Disciplinary action lawsuits in Canada [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! Can anybody please help me! I need to find a history of Disciplinary action lawsuits in Canada. By that I mean, the numbers of lawsuits, the judgements, and so on. Does anybody know where I can find this information? Thank you!

View more questions Search