Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    888terri Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 04:11 PM
    1st & 2nd mortgages about to start foreclosure - don't understand any of it!
    Please help me out someone! I have a house in FL worth only $190,000 in current market. I owe $182,000 (which includes $10,000 arrears) on first mortgage and $40,000 on 2nd. I am about to put house on the market for sale in the hope we can get out from under this debt. 1st mortgage company tells me they would probably accept under the $182,000 if it was fairly close - that is okay. But, it is becoming increasingly obvious that the 2nd mortgage is not going to get paid. What happens with that? Can the 2nd mortgage company stop the sale because they haven't been paid? What happens next? I am really lost and need some advice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 05:25 PM
    There can not be any sale unless you pay off both mortages at the time of the sale. There has to be a check at closing for the second mortgage company or there can be no sale.

You can not just pay the first mortgage and not pay the second mortgage.

Now if you have 40,000 in the bank to write them acheck, you can not sell it for a lower amouint unless the second is willing to take less.

So you will need to sell the house for 222,000 plus enough for the real estate agents commission for there to be a sale.
    888terri Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 06:29 PM
    Thank you for your clarification. It seems I am doomed no matter what I do. The house is in FL and is rented at present. We moved permanently to Australia middle of last year and hoped to keep the house until the market values increased. Unfortunately the mortgage company just put our repayments up another $200 per month and we have been unable to make up the difference between the rent and the payments consistently creating a debt we cannot seem to get out from under. If we cannot sell it, then it appears I have to let it go into foreclosure, it isn't yet, but they said they would commence proceedings shortly. It seems hopeless as I can't even get the mortgage company to send me a statement, let alone any other paperwork to Australia.

If both mortgage companies are aware the house is on the market is it possible that they would accept a reduced settlement of the mortgages because we are overseas permanently and it is highly unlikely that they would be able to recover anything further?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 06:47 PM
    Don't feel bad, I am helping a friend here in the states, after 45 minutes on hold the mortgage company just hangs up. They refuse to tell you over the phone the pay off, and when they send it in writing it is already a week old when you get it.

Depending on the company, they may wait several months to start the foreclosure,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 year mortgages [ 2 Answers ]

With a possible interest rate cut soon, what is the best way to go about getting the best interest rate on a home with substantial equity and very good credit rating?

Who knows about mortgages [ 1 Answers ]

I have an adjustable rate that has gone up every year for the last 5 years it's now at 10.65%. I've tried FHA and they say my raito to income is to high 46%. My loan to value is 80%. Can anyone offer any help/

Second mortgages [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter and son-in-law owe us money (about 8 grand in all) and are not good at paying it back. I do not want to do a lien on their house, I would like to keep the courts out of this. Can I do a second mortgage with me holding it, that way we will get our money someday and I don't have to keep...

Mortgages [ 3 Answers ]

Just bought a home in June and since moving I have lost my job, is there any help out there to help me with my mortgage payments?

Reverse Mortgages [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking into reverse mortgages and think I understand it very well, but I would like to hear from anyone who has had an experience with them either good or bad. Thank you.

View more questions Search