Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    becca5172 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 09:50 AM
    Got fired while on medical leave
    [F]

Hello I'm needing to know what I can due about a company that fired me while I was on medical leave.had miscarriage she told me to bring the doctors statement in on Friday so I could show why I was on medical leave so I did so.but before I got there got a phone call I was fired need to bring in my uniform, I was upset,and when I got there they were rude to me and I'm still under a md care and not released from work they told me I wouldn't get unemployment nor would I get a dime from them what can I do about them doing this to me?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 15, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Are there more than 50 people in the company? If so, you are probably covered under FMLA and they can't fire you. If not, they can fire you for any reason.

Take your case to your local state labor board.

Jan 15, 2008, 10:03 AM
    I'm not sure if there is 50 it a small hotel there quiet a few that does work there.well I spoked to a lawyer here in ky where I live at and he told me they can not fire me while off the clock, nor while on medical leave.I think it bull how there treating me.ive been there over a yr and this happened out of no where didn't know I was pregnant was a tubal pregancy,they hospitalized me and there was nothing I could do wasn't my fault I lost a baby.now its like there holding it against me

Jan 15, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Did the lawyer say he was willing to represent you? If so, then give him the case.

Jan 15, 2008, 10:07 AM
    Don't have the money for him to represent me
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 11:32 AM
    1. Was it an official leave, how long have your been there, for example the FMLA has requirements of being employed for a certain amount of time.
    For example ifyou had only worked there for 3 months, and you were going to be out of work for a long time, they do not have a obligation to keep you employed.

They can not fire you while on a workers comp injury, but if you are not under a FMLA yes they can ask you not to return to work.

The commpany does not have any final say in getting unemployment,
    You file your claim, if they deny it, there is a hearing.

Jan 15, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by becca5172
    dont have the money for him to represent me
    Shop around, if your case is good you can get someone to represent you on contingency.

Jan 15, 2008, 04:39 PM
    I've been there for over a yr and no I wasn't going to be out but maybe 2 weeks, and they fired me as I was on medical leave they have no rights , even under my employee hand book . They have one girl that doesn't have a babysitter and still on schedule ,and not even working.I was a damn hard worker and they even told me that .I lost my baby to a miscarriage I know this hotel is messed up. I've got the workers right commesion looking into it.along with the ky work law as well

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fired [ 1 Answers ]

I am a salesperson and my boss is attempting to fire me without notice. The company has A process in place to work with someone prior to termination. This process was not followed. Can I do something to force the process?

Not fired, then fired, after boss was beat [ 6 Answers ]

I was called in the office and confronted about time differences on the time sheet. I had to wait for a customer to get home that morning, (30 min.). I called the office and informed them. So I added 15 extra minutes to my time. I was told that I couldn't do that. I asked was I being fired for it...

Fired Without Just Cause [ 10 Answers ]

I began my new job 4 weeks ago as a test center administrator. I administer exams ranging from education, to doctors exams. During my time there, my supervisor was acting very funny. She didn't take the flyer down for the job position that was there when I first applied. Her two daughters...

Fired [ 8 Answers ]

I was fired by mail after being placed on suspension ( a disciplinary act that is not sanctioned by union contract) and after filing a harrassment complaint during a FMLA leave. I have no income now, therefore no money to pay a lawyer. Got any suggestions on any of the above.

Medical issue got me fired. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if this is against labor laws. I started a new job 2 weeks ago and I did not tell them of a condition, in which no one knows what is, If I don't know what it is, how can I tell them I have it for one thing. Well, I had one of my spells, and they told me to bring in all my...

View more questions Search