Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2006, 12:51 PM
    My primary email is a SaskTel account and shows up as [email protected]. SaskTel is only in Saskatchewan, Canada. However, I have a friend who is overseas at the moment and was able to access and use his SaskTel account from Taiwan! :p So, as CurlyBen says email means nothing as far as location.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 7, 2006, 12:55 PM
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Wanadoo LOL, nice try NwsFlasH but nope ;)
    Fancy double or quits :)

The bit with the E-mails isn't really true as webmail would look like it has come from the servers country of location and not from the person sending it.
    As I said I have numerous mail addys and they wont show you where I live.
    Your correct about webmail, it shows as the email companys server, but you can still be seen by the isp as they would have your details when you joined the mail service. Like your name and address so on : -- : :D
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2006, 12:57 PM
    OK nwsflash how about, internet cafes, work place, unsecured WiFi...
    Still won't work ;)

You know as well as I do that IP and e-mail header information is next to useless.
    From where I'm sitting right now I can access a server in Germnay and log into my Polish webmail and mail you.

This proves nowt :)

Jan 7, 2006, 01:08 PM
    Police
    You have a very good point! True by using these means it is hard to trace, If you used these means then you could only probley trace the location say the internet café, but then it would be up to law agencys to take matters forwards to finding a person. And with that I mean using old style police work not computers
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jan 7, 2006, 01:12 PM
    To Ben
    Привет Бен. Я знаю где Вы ре. Ваш на Gallifray. :D
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2006, 01:19 PM
    不今天, 我搬走了。我當前是在Titan 當我得到更好的連接 ;)

Jan 7, 2006, 01:29 PM
    A full stomach
    Только имел китайскую пищу, thank you очень

Er,is your time of posting correct.Mine says 12:29pm? :confused:

Damn.it's just moved to 08:29am?
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2006, 01:32 PM
    Just noticed that myself, site time seems OK tho' :confused: :eek:

Posted at 20:32 gmt showing 12:32pm Now :(
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Jan 7, 2006, 02:54 PM
    Perhaps this person has a good reason for lying about where they are. I talk to a friend on instant message all the time that I have never met in real life. No Im not going to tell them where I live right now. I don't know them that well.

Jan 7, 2006, 03:13 PM
    Safe Online
    Quote Originally Posted by crankiebabie
    Perhaps this person has a good reason for lying about where they are. I talk to a friend on instant message all the time that I have never met in real life. No Im not going to tell them where I live right now. I dnt know them that well.
    I think you hit the nail on the head, we must always think about the rules of been safe online... People can claim to be anybody and from any where in the world.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2006, 03:26 PM
    Lies
    After my first wife passed away, I thought it may be fun to meet some ladies on the internet, I will be honest, I meet some real nut cases
    ( I hope none think they meet one)
    There were many who posted fake photos as to who they were or what they looked like, many lied about age and job.
    As a minister religion was real important, almost all lied about that.

Two forgot to mention they were still married, one forgot she was married and still living with her husband.

One forgot to mention she practiced witchcraft and several forgot to mention strange sexual desires and were merely looking for sex partners.

So this was just a regular guy looking for some nice ladies, I know that the ladies will have a lot worst time. ( plus this was about 9 years ago and today the internet is far worst with nut cases)

In general chatting is one thing, who cares where they are at. Getting to be friends and wanting to meet is another issue.

Since I post who I am, and web sites as to where I am, I have had all sorts of nuts stalk me over the years. Because of my very strong pro life and pro family view points and postings on the internet I have had real life stalkers coming to my home and leaving notes in the mail box, people calling where I work, where I go to church and so much more trying to cause trouble.s

Jan 7, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Be honest
    As an ex baptist,don't ask,it's a long story,I was always brought up to be honest,and don't lie.My grandmother always said to me,if you tell the truth,no one can catch you out.Thats why I never pretend to be anyone,or "something"? That I'm not.My pic,along with my sis,and brother,somewhere on site,is real,and nearly up to date,as it was taken summer 2005.I never say I'm an astronaut,or a Texan oil billionaire... er,would be a bit silly really,as I live in the UK... but you get the idea.I work in the care field,and am proud of it.It's long hours,rubbish pay,but the people are like family,and we support each other very well.I have a five year old son,and a partner,both of whom I love very much.Never would I do,or say anything to upset the status quo.That's what I like about this site,you can have banter,the odd disagreement,but above all,you can share experiances,and knowledge,with 99% of folks who are simply like you and me :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2006, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by STRANGER_OF_UR_DREAMZ
    im not sure but apart from asking him there must be some way to know about the place were the person is , not accuately but approximately by knowing his ip address through the mails the person send, ect.
    there is a tracing software which can help you do this. but it does not give u the exact place were the person is, u can search the net for the tracing tools from google. hope this will help you
    While there are programs that claim to be able to do this, they are not accurate. The most you can do is get the person's IP address. The most you can find out from the IP address is the ISP that issued the address. From there you run up against a wall. The record of what IP was assigned to what subscriber is confidential info kept internally at the ISP. Its not traceable.

Jan 7, 2006, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fxjamy
    i'm only satisfied wid this ans but i'v trie for such s/w
    Whether you are staisifed with an answer is kind of immaterial. What matters is whether the answer is correct or that. That answer was incorrect.

Your question was clear, so were our answers. You cannot find out anything more than the ISP that issued their IP address.

Jan 7, 2006, 10:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    I was always brought up to be honest,and dont lie.My grandmother always said to me,if you tell the truth,noone can catch you out.Thats why I never pretend to be anyone,or "something"? that I'm not.
    While I am the same way and I agree with the sentiment, there are still some very good reasons to be discreet online. But I think its more of a don't ask, don't tell thing then actual fibbing.

What Chuck said about taking an online relationship offline is a key. Frankly I don't care whether the person I am corresponding with is 13 or 63. I have known 63 year olds who act like 13 and vice versa. Unless I have an intention of taking a relationship offline (and I have met many of the people I have corresponded with), it doesn't mattter to me. Its how they act online that matters.

Jan 8, 2006, 06:05 AM
    Being discreet
    Yep,agree with you Scott.All I'm saying is with me,it's what you (see),is what you get.As I have no intention of meeting with anyone off-line,I don't think any harm is done by speaking the truth.Er,giving my email(s) address to all and sundry,is a totally different matter of course.
    I too agree with you that it if you can have an on-site "good banter" with others,then that can only benefit all concerned.It doesn't matter whether they are 19,or 99.It's the interest,and simplicity-complexity of replies which holds my attention.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Artificial person vs. Natural person? [ 9 Answers ]

How would the court deal with a natural person vs, artificial person? By definition a artificial person is a corporation (strawman) which the court would have jurisdication. How does the court deal with a natural person, a human being? How does the court obtain jurisdication over a human being? ...

Chatting client ban. What to do for chat? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear all, In my office chatting on other than company people not allowed. But, in some case if I need to chat with some friends for necessary stuff I want some Java chatting site address if someone knows please. Help me giving address of that chatting site addresses... Thanks !

Ok So I am a cat person, with questions... [ 3 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I actually got some questions... On Mother's Day, a young stray female that was hanging around and my wife brought in a week or so earlier, had four kittens. I added a couple of pictures of the kids, they are cute little boogers. The tan are both male, and the grays are...

Is there way to access the computer of(the person you are chatting with) ,while chat? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, My question is ,Is it possible to gain access to the computer( the person you are chatting with) ,while in a chat.. If it's really possible then how? I just want 2 gain access to my friends PC , while on a chat conversation.. Please help with this... I have learnt about...

Will I have kids with this person? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I wanted to know if I would have kids with this person. My name is Tishanna 9/17/1978 Dwayne 12/26/76 Thanks

View more questions Search