Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Questionshelp Posts: 153, Reputation: 1
    -

Jan 15, 2008, 06:36 AM
    My dog
    I was wondering That if my dog does not bark is it OK?
    1st I will add that I just got the dog from the SPCA and it is one year old mix. It does not bark what so ever and my wife and myself where wondering if it is because it's new environment? We both are very much concern about the dog. Please provide us with Expert answers. If you do not know then please do not answer. We are very concerned about our new dog. I look forward to some advise on this matter. Thank you all for looking and replying in advance. :)
    La_xx Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 09:23 AM
    I have a 9month old dog who has been with me since she was 3 months old and it is only in the last month she has begun barking - but still only when she hears something outside the house and is scared. If your dog is showing no other forms of distress then the lack of a bark shouldn't be anything to worry about.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Questions, dogs don't understand what is happening when they are rehoused. They are confused and scared because they don't know what to expect, and they have a tendency to not interact the way we expect them to. Most rehoused dogs will not bark initially. Barking is a territorial and warning behavior. They are warning their "pack" that an "intruder" is entering their territory and they are letting the intruder know that he better think twice about entering a "claimed" territory. Right now, your dog doesn't consider your home as his home. He doesn't know where his place is in the "pack" and usually when a dog pack takes on a newcomer, that newcomer will be on his best behavior and stay out of the pack leaders way or try to suck up to him and show him that he isn't a threat with showing his belly, wagging his tail, and avoiding eye contact. Give your new dog some time to adjust and feel that he is part of the family. When he hears a noise outside and eventually barks to warn you there is an "intruder", you will know that your dog now feels that your home is his home. Patience and time are the keys here. :)
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Jan 15, 2008, 01:44 PM
    My dog never barks unless something scares him, like a book falling or something. He is 3 years old. He's a hound and is really quiet. I agree with the above answer, he is probably still getting used to his new home.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 08:54 PM
    Does he make other noises? If he does, I wouldn't worry too much about this. There are a couple of breeds that generally do not bark, and this may just be the way your dog is.
    -

Jan 16, 2008, 05:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    Does he make other noises? If he does, I wouldn't worry too much about this. There are a couple of breeds that generally do not bark, and this may just be the way your dog is.
    No he doesn't make other noises. I called the SPCA on this and they even said when they had him he never barked. He plays with us always comes to us when called and as for him being house trained WOW Never had or meet a dog like it. I will agree with "RubyPitbull" That is a great answer. If any one else has anything to add please do. Thank you all again.
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2008, 05:59 AM
    Questions, froggy has a brought up a good point. There are breeds that don't bark and/or have a tendency to be more quiet than others. Also, each dog has it's own individual personality like we do. From your current description of the dog, it sounds as if you have picked yourself a gem! Thank you so much for your opening up your heart and giving this little guy a good home.
    -

Jan 16, 2008, 08:00 AM
    So what type of breeds are thir that don't bark. It would be nice to look them up to see what type of mix I do have. I do thing it has part golden retriever. Thank you again
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Basenji's don't bark but they make sounds that are akin to yodeling, among other noises. Golden Retriever's do bark. Although I know from what you are saying that you have a mix, your dog more than likely is quite capable of barking. Just give him some time to get comfortable. He probably wasn't comfortable in the shelter. And, as I said, it all depends on they dog's personality. Yours may not be a barker, but in time, you might find that he will bark when he becomes part of your "pack" and will alert you to "unfamiliar" noises. If you can, or when you get a chance, post of picture of him. Maybe we can help you identify the mix.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search