Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mssuezee Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 06:34 AM
    Laminate floor peaking and bridgeing
    :( Is there anything that can be done to repair laminate flooring that was apparently installed improperly? It was installed on cement that had not thoroughly dried. (Cement was used to level the floor) Also, glued the panels down. I have learned since the install that this should have not been done. Help... I am out a lot of money for something that looks terrible...
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2008, 07:28 AM
    Here's something to check out/try: Pull the baseboards to see if there is a 1/4" gap between the edge of the laminate and the wall.

If there is not, then you can try cutting it (try a Dremel with the cutting wheel) so that it's 1/4" away from the wall. That might allow for expanding to reduce the buckling.

Of course if it's glued down to a surface that has buckled, then you can only remove laminate, correct the floor under it, then replace the laminate pieces.

Jan 15, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Thanks for the info. I will try what you have suggested. I sure can't do it any harm:)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Whoever did the install should be tracked down if they did the job for you. Laminate manufacturers generally require the floor be installed over a foam pad to absorb sound and make up for variances in the concrete. Gluing direct to a surface that is never perfectly flat just makes no sense. I hate to say this but sometimes there just isn't a big enough band aide to fix some bad installation jobs. If I did this job for you I'd bite the bullet and tear it out. If I did this job in my own home my wife would have a different use for that bullet.

Jan 15, 2008, 02:38 PM
    This person who did the install... he said "trust me" I did... and this isn't the only thing he messed up.

Jan 15, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Do you know where he lives? How long ago did he do this job and is he a tradesman or just someone working out of his trunk?

Jan 15, 2008, 03:07 PM
    This work has just recently been done. We had a house remodeled and now live in it.
    He usually works for someone else. He is good only at framing, (Now I know this) but absolutely NOT a finish carpenter. Far as I can tell from getting to know him during this, he doesn't have the money to replace the floor for me. So, I have been "taken to the cleaners" and I wasn't even dirty.

Jan 15, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Sorry to hear that. The correct fix could run hundreds if not a thousand bucks. Apparently he did not like to read direction very much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate floor [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to clean a laminate floor... I have a mohawk and it is horrible to keep clean... there is always foot prints and just cleaning it doesn't really come clean I tried a bunch of different cleaners and they all work the same so I was wondering if anyone knew...

Laminate floor help [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am new here but have a terrible problem with a laminate floor we laid about 18 months ago. We laid the floor on top of a well kept, still stuck, vinyl floor. Then the underlayment and then the laminate floor. This is in the kitchen Now here is my problem- in front of the sink,...

Laminate Floor is Blistering [ 3 Answers ]

I installed laminate floors in my house with a pad underneath it and every time the floor gets something spilled on it or the dog pees on it the floor seems to blister like particle board does when it gets wet. I was wondering if there is a way that I can seal the floors so I don't have pull up my...

Can you steam mop a laminate floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if you could steam mop a laminate floor? I was reading on their website that it was safe for laminate floors but wasn't too sure to trust them just wondering if anyone knew...

Laminate floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a pergo product over a vinyl kitchen floor, do I need to remove the vinyl to the wood sub-floor? Or can I install right on to the vinyl? Also do I have to use an underlayment since the kitchen is over the basement, no sound or moisture issues? I have been advised by both ways on this...

View more questions Search