Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lightwine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 01:33 AM
    Turning off water
    Is it bad to turn off the water to your home over night in the winter time?
    karis109 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jan 15, 2008, 03:36 AM
    Well, if the pipes freeze you would then have no water supply to your home.
    Questionshelp Posts: 153, Reputation: 1
    -

Jan 15, 2008, 05:57 AM
    Yes it is very bad for you to turn the water off in the house in the winter time. Why do you need to do this?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 08:50 AM
    I can't think of a reason to do this unless you have something that is already laeking. It would be OK to shut down your supply under most circumstances. Your home must be properly insulated, not piping within an exterior wall and it can't as a darn cold as it is in Chicago this morning. We will be hitting 10 below this weekend and that kind of stinks. Older home may be poorly insulated and it was once common to have supply and drain lines within exterior wall caviteies. Its up to you to determine your situation based on locale and home.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 10:45 PM
    That shuts the water off to the hot water tank. It is very bad to ever shut the water off to a hot water heater without opening a hot water tap unless youhave an expansion tank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Heater pilot keeps turning off [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool water heater that is only about 3 years old. About a year after we installed it, we had to replace the thermal couple (I think that's how you spell it) because the pilot was not staying on. Well, it's happening again. When we notice there is no hot water in the house, we go...

Turning off water to hot water tank [ 12 Answers ]

My bathtub hot water faucet has a leak, and I cannot find any valve to turn off the flow to the faucet. If I turn off the water to the hot water tank, would that damage the tank or cause other problems?

Turning Off My Cold Water [ 1 Answers ]

Last week I actually broke my shower handle because my cold water would not turn off. I have fixed my handle, but when I put my main water on -- I still cannot turn off my cold water. Please help. Val

Irregular water pressure when first turning on water [ 4 Answers ]

I just notched that when I turn on my facuts or even shower, that the first few seconds, the water kind of comes out very strong and then it weakens to a normal low pressure like flow. The flow isn't horrible or anything, but I wish it would come out like the first few seconds the whole time. What...

Turning off water for faucet replacement [ 4 Answers ]

My husband attempted the rather easy job of replacing a kitchen faucet. After turning off water supply, water continues to dribble out of faucet.. He says there some problem in turn off valve. How does he replace valve if water is running out of the faucet? We DO have a well for water supply.

View more questions Search