Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kirasmom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 10:29 PM
    NEW tub leaking between tub & door
    Hi,
    We live in a 20 year old home and just added a bathtub/shower to a half bath a couple months ago. We put in a bypass tub door and just today it started leaking between the door & tub-- I pulled out the entire silicon seal in one strip under the door. :eek: Called plumber/installer, he said tub has probably settled and he will reseal door. He said that now that people have stood in there, it may have sank just enough to undo the seal.

Question: Is this typical with new installations, even in an older house? The tub has been used less than a dozen times. I just don't know if he's b-s-ing me and this is a larger issue I need to be concerned about. :confused:

Thanks so much!
    Questionshelp Posts: 153, Reputation: 1
    -

Jan 15, 2008, 06:04 AM
    It is totally BS. The plummer that installed you tub/shower should fix the problem. 1st did the plummer get a permit to do this. If not then it seems to me that the plummer does BS work. Call the plummer to fix the problem. Thank god for Homes on Homes. I love working with him.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 15, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Called plumber/installer, he said tub has probably settled and he will reseal door.
    This would bother me. Why wasn't the tub installed so that it wouldn't "settle" and why is the plumber treating it like it was
    Normal to have a new installation that isn't stable. Call him back and have him do the job right. Let me know how it all comes out. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 08:38 AM
    Tom is correct, the tub was improperly installed if it settled this much. A good amount of thinset should have been applied to the area beneath the tub before installation. Once the tub is in place it should have been filled half way with water and allowed to sit for several days. There would be no settling.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kirasmom
    Hi,
    We live in a 20 year old home and just added a bathtub/shower to a half bath a couple months ago. We put in a bypass tub door and just today it started leaking between the door & tub-- I pulled out the entire silicon seal in one strip under the door. :eek: Called plumber/installer, he said tub has probably settled and he will reseal door. He said that now that people have stood in there, it may have sank just enough to undo the seal.

Question: Is this typical with new installations, even in an older house? The tub has been used less than a dozen times. I just don't know if he's b-s-ing me and this is a larger issue I need to be concerned about. :confused:

Thanks so much!
    I'm troubled that you were able to pull the silicone caulking out in one strip.

The bottom rail of the door set should have been set in a bed of silicone caulk with the tub full of water, particularly if it is a fiberglass or plastic tub, which are notorious for flexing when filled.

If you were able to pull the caulking out, then he must have caulked the edge after installation instead of during installation.

But still, it sounds like the Plumber bit off more than he can chew -- In all actuality, he had no business installing the door kit, this should have been left to the General Contractor, homeowner or a door supplier recommended subcontractor.

I've been doing this a long time, and there is no way I would undertake an installation better left to the professionals.

Jan 15, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Growler makes a good point regarding the silicone. If it was laid under the rail it would not come off in one stripe. Sounds like he applied aonly a bead of caulk after the door was in.

Jan 15, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Thanks so much to those who answered.. I so appreciate it! FYI: I pulled the bead of caulk out from under the door (it looked like the water from the shower had sort of pushed the bead through so I grabbed an end and pulled)... so obviously the tub had flexed enoughfor the caulk to loosen.

I KNOW that no one mentioned to have the tub sit with water for several days (it is fiberglass, I believe-- Americast?) which sounds like would have avoided this from the start, no? So he is coming this week to fix the door, but what else should I have him do? I want it fixed, but I don't want the "oh, lady, you don't know what you're talking about, it's all fine" response. Any direction you can give me on what to tell him would be appreciated. Should I have him reset the entire tub?

Jan 15, 2008, 12:19 PM
    The installer should have filled the tub, not your responsibility. He screwed up, not you. You may need to be a bit crabby with him if he gives you the you're just a woman bologna stuff. Ask him what he put under the tub to set it, should have been modified thinset, plain thinset and in a pinch I saw a guy use a bucket of drywall compound. He has to have a bonding filler under that tub or it will flex every time it is use, it probably did not settle, its flexing. Also tell him that the installation directions for that door require silicone bead to be under the door sill not on it. You can probably download and verify the install instruction from the net. If he gives you a hard time print out all of our answers espoecially Speedball1 and Iamgrowler, they are both experienced plumbers. I'm just an installer who knows how to set a tub and lay down silicone.

Jan 15, 2008, 09:08 PM
    Thanks to you all who helped... he is coming over tomorrow to investigate... wish me luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE refrigerator leaking water from the door [ 14 Answers ]

As the title says, my GE frig just starting leaking water at the bottom of the freezer side door. This is the type of refrigerator which is a side by side with freezer on left side along with the ice/water dispenser built into the door. I can not see any water tubes going from the unit to the...

Refrigerator door leaking [ 1 Answers ]

The door of my GE side-by-side fridge started leaking water from the freezer side door after I had flushed the drain plug in the freezer and had the freezer door open for a long time.

Millikin Door Kit needed in order to install storm door [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have a Milliken (may be mis-spelled) exterior door with two side light panels on both sides. I have purchased a Larson Storm Door for the front door. There is not enough depth between the two doors when measuring them - therefore I need to build the front door frame out. I need to know...

Door Sill Leaking Into Basement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My basement is leaking due to a spring thaw. I see exactly where it is but need to fix it QUICK before a vacation tomorrow. The problem is that the grade outside is sloping towards the house. This will be fixed in the spring. For now I need a temporary fix to at least get me through...

Sliding Glass Door is leaking [ 2 Answers ]

We have a sliding glass door that leaks when it rains heavily. Our house is 18 years old and the door leads out to a wooden deck. The deck is about one inch below the door frame. It is a good quality wooden door manufactured by Peachtree. This has caused some damage to our hardwood flooring near...

View more questions Search