Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    generating Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 06:53 PM
    Co-signing on a bank loan
    My question is, a couple of years ago, we co-signed a bank loan for a family member.
    Everything was going well for a while, while the family member paid on the loan, a couple of times they were late paying, and we got notices saying such. It has been at least 2 years now since we got any notices saying they were late, so we assumed everything was fine. Just this last week, my daughter applied for a car loan, and the car company sent this paper to the bank in question, checking for the loan information, it came back, that because of our poor credit rating with this bank, the request is denied. We do not use this bank for our banking, only as a co-signer for the family member. After speaking with this bank today, they said the family member stopped paying on this loan a long time ago. When asked why we were never notified, they just said "they blew it off" but yet they couldn't wait to put this information on our credit report, so now our credit report states we are a bad risk for any type of loan. Shouldn't the Bank have been obligated to inform us that this was going on when the loan started to be unpaid? How do we handle this type of problem, should we contact a lawyer and see what could be done? Since we had no idea this was going on, how can we be held responsible and have our credit ruined

Thanks to who ever can give us some advise
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 14, 2008, 06:59 PM
    This is the risk you take when you cosign a loan. You can contact the credit bureaus and protest the entry, but since the loan was defaulted you may not have an option there.

You can pay the loan then sue the family member.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2008, 07:15 PM
    Nope, the friend you co-signed for would have gotten the notices and they are the ones responsible to tell you. Actually the bank does not have to tell you until the day they send you paper work to get a judgement against you.

This is one of the high risks you do when you co-sign for anyone.

As noted by Scott you can pay all the money back, and then sue the family member since you are personally liable for the loan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can bank take money out for own loan without permission? [ 4 Answers ]

I have business checking and personal checking with one bank. I had line of credit for business with personal guarranty. They took out past due payment out from my personal checking and they said they can do it by loan aggrement. But they did not notify me in addvance and they took whatever there...

Bank Loan default [ 1 Answers ]

I received a Personel Bank loan of $6,000.00 for my upcoming Wedding. Two days before found her cheating and called it off. Went on the Honeymoon to Mexico by myself to get away and think things over. Spent the balance of the loan and the rest of my savings trying to forget. Ended up...

Can a bank draft be cancelled by a bank if the purchaser is in default on a loan? [ 1 Answers ]

I had recently purchased a bank draft from a bank to which I owe a large sum of money. I'am overdue on the minimum payment and the bank has started to make noises about taking legal action. Due to some reason the recipient has not deposited the bank draft yet. Can the bank legally cancel the...

Bank loan [ 3 Answers ]

My loan officer is threating me because my insurance was cancelled then after that I got in an accident now he is going to call the cops can he do that

Co signing on a loan [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not sure to do about this one so seeking some advice. My brother called me and asked if I would co sign on a loan for his girlfriend, who is buying a new horse. It is about $9,500. They have been going out for about a year now and have had some problems, but she is really nice, though I...

View more questions Search