Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lexielexs Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Jan 14, 2008, 06:45 PM
    What is race?
    Like I'm asking this question because I really want to know why people on this earth care what race you are espcially americans. I would have to say probably 1/3 of americans care about race. Like if you really think about it there is no pure race, race is something man used to lable people. I want someone to explain to me why it matters (cause I sure don't think it does) like what makes people different on this earth besides... the skin color, the language the person speaks, the religion they practice, their culture. Why does these things matter so much to people my parents raised me to see what the person is like, ex. Like when I speak to someone I just met or something I don't see what race they are when I speak to them I don't see the race cause I don't care. I really hate that many people care about it, but like what I was saying earlier there really isn't a pure race cause even though you may not know what you are mixed with, just know your mixed with something because we don't know how far history dates back to and how make races there were so there's no way you can think that there is a pure race but if you have something to say up up for talking about it I'm really opened minded!!
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2008, 07:13 PM
    You posted an interesting post. If I am understanding what you are saying is that race, culture, color, language shouldn't matter nor enter into anything when you meet someone, I guess we are meeting in the middle but from different perspectives. When I meet someone of a different culture or race, language, or country, I celebrate that moment. I do care about their race, color, language, culture because it makes them who they are and I am interested in knowing all about it. I feel it broadens my horizons and blesses my life. I also hope in some way, I bless theirs.
    lexielexs Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Jan 14, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7
    You posted an interesting post. If I am understanding what you are saying is that race, culture, color, language shouldn't matter nor enter into anything when you meet someone, and if that is what you are saying, I guess we are meeting in the middle but from different perspectives. When I meet someone of a different culture or race, language, or country, I celebrate that moment. I do care about their race, color, language, culture because it makes them who they are and I am interested in knowing all about it. I feel it broadens my horizons and blesses my life.

Noo lol yes as far as that goes I do care but when it comes to people judging it upsets me because that don't know all about that person but yeah like I have a friend who is columbian and I love everything about her and her family but yeah I understand what you meant I guess I didn't make myself to clear sorry lol!!
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jan 14, 2008, 07:56 PM
    Good reply jrebel7

Depends on the questioner

Some are not sure and want to know and be informed
    Others may use it as a source of prejudice.

I am a first generation American, but when people see me they do not automatically see that since I am Asian, my parents are from a different country.
    I wonder how many caucasions or blacks / Afro - americans get asked questions or get comments like:

Where are you from ? [ I use to say New York, but that never satisfies them, I tempted to say Mars :D ]

You speak good English. [ Yeah it's the only language I know, my Spanish is atrocious :p ].

I bet most fiirst generation Hispanics or "mixed" kids go through the same thing.

But hey that's life, variety is the spice. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car race movie need title [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all and thanks for checking this out in advance even if you don't know the title. This movies is most likely a 70's maybe early 80's Here's the plot kinda: The is a car racing movie kind of like cannonball run and a scavenge hunt combind. There are serveral teams all kind of fitting...

Race horse [ 1 Answers ]

What does it mean when a race horse bleeds in his lungs

Marriage and Race [ 3 Answers ]

I feel bad about asking this, but I need to know. Okay,first of all I wan tto say I am not racist. Some one told me that in the Bible it says that you aren't supposed to marry people of a different race than your own.Is that true?I have no idea and I think it would be beneficial to know.

Race [ 9 Answers ]

Are Romanians considered as whites? I know that Romania has been conquered by the huns and the turks. I am wondering. PLease help.

Race for life [ 2 Answers ]

My work colleagues and I are entering a team in this years race for life (5km run) to raise money for cancer research. I would appreciate any words of encouragement and tips on training. Please also see our webpage www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/branch2229 Thanks

View more questions Search