Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    azz123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Snow thrower not throwing snow
    Hi everyone, I need help, I have a murray snow blower, it runs, but snow stuck in chute and won't throw out, changed the belt , no luck, hope someone can help, thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2008, 08:21 PM
    I've read where you spray some vegetable cooking oil spray and spray it into the chute area it makes the snow not want to stick. Try that once the chute is cleared of snow and dry. Or better yet, do what I do to clear my driveway of snow. Just put my Jeep in 4 wheel drive and drive up and down on the driveway a few hundred times. Haven't tried it yet on the sidewalk though. Works just great. No shoveling for me, thanks! Seriously, it could be the snow just getting clogged in the chute if everything else is okay and works fine if it's empty of snow. Or you could try the lawnmower and see if that makes any difference if snow blower doesn't work. LOL Ooops wrong season!
    Questionshelp Posts: 153, Reputation: 1
    -

Jan 15, 2008, 06:42 AM
    It could be the bearings on the main oger might need to be replaced. I had this problem before. Please provide more info on this matter IE Does it throw snow but the engine starts to die down? Do you lose belts often Or throw belts often? More info Please
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 09:27 AM
    AZZ, this is a common problem with the smaller rubber paddle type snow blowers, don't even know why they call them blowers. Wet snow or very light snow does not build up a sufficient mass to be paddled up and out the chute. If the snow is light just wait until it is at least an inch or more before clearing the walk. Wet snow you're pretty screwed on that but I'd try Twinkie's cooking oil spray. If nothing else you could make yourself one heck of a great veggie snow cone.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Bb:
    That wll make me not to buy a paddle snow thrower. The other reason is that the paddles have to wear. The manufacturer can discontinue at a moments notice. That's why I decided to rebuild a 30 YO snowblower that I had.

Useful things it doesn't have: electronic ignition (probably doesn't matter, retrofit possible, but difficult); Electric start; Compression release

It's self-propelled, one speed, with tire chains and rarely gets used.

It needs a little bit more paint. I'm thinking of lineing the chute with bondable teflon.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 12:12 PM
    The only reasons to buy a paddle blower is you are cheap or you have very little walkway to clear. Other than that they make great door stops.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2008, 02:48 PM
    Is there excessive vibration? Tighten all bolts and subassemblies if engine vibrates.
    Check discharge chute for ice. Chip out ice if snow is wet. Run engine at a higher speed. Set deflector for maximum height. Put transmission into lower gear. Adjust tension on auger and impeller bolts. Replace worn belts (you already did this). Check auger shear bolts, replace only with manufacturers parts. Check oil and auger gear case and replace leaking seals. Replace worn gears.

If all else fails I'll come over and use my 4 wheel drive Jeep on your driveway.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Sorry, don't have snow throwers here.
    bhiveranch Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Check the shear bolts on the shaft where the auger is it might have sheared and all you do is put in a new one. You'll have to drive the old one out. Lso check for a piece of gravel in between auger and walls of anything. But the best advise is get a bigger snowblower. Remember as the person above said a good old used one can be had for what a new little one that is only good for a door stop. The best failproof thing is a shovel, If you have a large area get a snow plow if it's in between get a good used older one.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Does it have a shear pin or pins?
    yikeshelpplease Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2012, 09:10 PM
    Mine throws some snow but the engine starts to die if I have too much snow. I have to keep the snow chute handle depressed all the time or it clogs up. It is a two stage snapper.
    Also the choke has to stay on or it dies I just had two people work on it and they cleaned the carberator

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray snow thrower [ 2 Answers ]

I have an older model Murray small snow thrower/blower. I don't have the manual. I don't know what gas / oil ratio to use. It's a 2-cycle engine (I think). Can anyone please help me? Thanks so much!

Snow thrower not throwing snow?! [ 1 Answers ]

The other day I shear one of the shear pins on my snow thrower tines I had replaced but the tines are not moving at all. (I hit a cement step while clearing the snow of a neighboard's driveway) Could some one let me know where I should start looking at? I don't want to disassemble more than I don't...

View more questions Search