Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anteater Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Kurt Vonnegut Book
    What Kurt Vonnegut book should I read first if I have never read anything by him?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2008, 12:54 PM
    He is a wonderful author and you'll want to read many of his books once you've read one. Slaughter House Five is a good one to start with. They made a good movie out of the book also back in the 1970's.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Most would say his most famous book is "Slaughterhouse Five." That book is widely considered one of the best American novels of the 20th Century.
    One of his novels, "Breakfast of Champions" was also a best selling novel for him. He also wrote, "Welcome to the Monkey House", "God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian", and many others.

inauthor:Kurt inauthor:Vonnegut - Google Book Search

To give you a suggestion as to where you want to start, try looking at a synopsis of each of his works and see if you what grabs your interest.

Personally, I preferred "A Man Without A Country."
    anteater Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Thanks, I will check a few of these out.
    JackieOancea Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 08:26 PM
    I think you should read Cat's Cradle first. And then everything else he ever wrote.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2008, 08:29 PM
    I would go with "Slaughterhouse Five" first.
    mheds Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 08:49 PM

Give me a name of novel author..
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2009, 08:25 AM

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread cause I've been wondering about this myself... yeah, just wanted to say that!
    Rhiannnonn Posts: 62, Reputation: 4

Oct 29, 2009, 07:40 PM

I'll never forget the line from "Breakfast of Champions" about how this man's wife killed herself by drinking Draino and how it "...did much the same to her that it did to a clogged drain..."
    bjohnrupp Posts: 293, Reputation: 32

Oct 30, 2009, 12:00 AM

"Slaughterhouse Five" is my semi-professional recommendation.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Oct 30, 2009, 06:28 PM
    I always thought Welcome to the Monkey House was the best way to get into Vonnegut. It's short enough not to overpower you and still shows the wonderfully wacky mind of Kilgore Trout (his other pseudonym).

For a full length work, try "The Sirens of Titan."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a good thesis statement with any book and another book or movie [ 2 Answers ]

Well do u have a good thesis stament for sny book and movie

Why did Kurt Kobain shoot himself? [ 2 Answers ]

All I know is when he died and that he was into drugs before he committed suicide. Can someone explain why he did it or what was going on in his life at the time or something?

Weekly reader book order book from the 80's [ 5 Answers ]

OK, I am so frustrated! I had this book when I was in the 5th grade in the 80's, I'd say it was around 1985 or 1986. Anyway, I loved this book and I lost it when I was a kid and I would give ANYTHING to find it again! I got the book from the Weekly Reader book order in school. There was a girl...

Do you know this book? [ 3 Answers ]

It's a book about a little girl. I think her mother dies while the father is away at war and her family puts her in boarding school for girls(or she is in the boarding school when her mother dies and father goes missing in war). So she is made to work their as a scullery maid of some sort...

Does anybody have this e-book? [ 4 Answers ]

NTC's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions. I tried to download it from rapidshare.com but unfortunately the file is damaged, and Acrobat Reader can't repair it. Thanks in advance. :)

View more questions Search