Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ElderlyQn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 11:28 AM
    80 year old with failed implant looking for options
    I am 80 years old and have all my own teeth. Two years ago I got a titanium implant to replace an upper molar (2nd from back). The implant has failed and my dentist says it will come out within the next few months. The dental surgeon does not provide any sort of warranty. My dentist also says I need a bone reconstruction because the upper jaw by the sinus is too weak; there may even be a hole now. (He says this should have been done when the implant was first put in.)

As I have already spent thousands on this tooth and the bone/implant replacement will cost thousands more (and I don't have dental insurance), and given that I'm 80 years old and the procedure will take a year to complete, is there a quicker, cheaper, good solution?

Re the solution of just leaving a hole... Can anyone describe what it's like to have a missing molar? I understand about the upper tooth "traveling" but how serious is that and how long does it take? Will I be able to chew on that side with a missing rear molar? (I have all my other teeth.)

There is a lot of info on the internet but very little that is useful for someone in my position.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2008, 12:08 PM
    I spent a lot of money on my teeth over my lifetime, but found I had to have an upper left bicuspid extracted a couple of months ago. (It was next to a limited space where I had the other bicuspid extracted when I was 12 years old due to misalignment).

I have two molars(no wisdom tooth), then a space, then the canine tooth followed by incisors. I am surprised at how well I can chew, no problems, no pain.

I even have a six year molar, crowned, on the upper right that has been achy ever since I had the work done over ten years ago, and I would have that extracted if I could just not to have the sensitivity.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2008, 06:19 PM
    Your best plan would be to have the implant removed. You may have to have the sinus repaired if it does have a hole in it.

Most of our chewing is done from the first molar (the one that came in at 6 yrs of age) forward. You will still have one side with full dentition, I really don't think you will miss that tooth at all. It can take years for teeth to start to drift.

If you were my mother/grandmother I'd tell you, at this point in your life don't put your money where your mouth is... have some fun!:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Implant in my arm [ 5 Answers ]

After reading all the pregnancy questions it makes me worrie how good an implant that is put in your arm is. Has anyone got pregnant while having one of them in there arm? Is there much chance I could get pregnant or am I safe?

Am I pregnant on the implant [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I'm a new memba to the site and I am reli worried weather I am prenent I haVE HAD HEADACHES I've put on a lot ov weight I keep feeling sik And keep having stomach pains Do you think I may be pregnant Right back I'm so worried clare x

Implant bleed [ 1 Answers ]

If I had my implant bleed on 7-31-07, what was my date of conception?

Implant bleeding? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I have stated before that my period started on the night of the 20th really late like it was almost the 21st. I had what I thought was regular bleeding the 21st and 22nd then it went to light pink blood could that be implant bleeding? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Am I Pregnant with an implant [ 1 Answers ]

I have had the implant for nearly a year and never have I blead whilst having it. I recently starting to get very sensitive and sore nipples, lower abdomanal pains and my stomach has increased in size in a very short space of time also my breasts have increased in size and are very heavy. I've then...

View more questions Search