Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deputylefty Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2006, 11:33 AM
    Handcuffed by Boring Job
    I am at another one of those proverbial crossroads in my life. I'm in my early 30's, have a law degee (with almost $100,000 of debt), and have a 1 yr. old son. I spend my days at a job (non legal) that pays just enough to live on. I do not want to sit in a cubicle my whole life. But since I have this law school debt, I need to have a job that pays a certain amount.

I hate office work. I want to truly help people. Whatever is needed, I'll do it. There is so much going on in the world, so many people in need, I want to make a difference.

But I'm handcuffed by my student loans.

What can I do...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2006, 11:35 AM
    How about the other side, prosecutor's office?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2006, 12:48 PM
    Real world
    Sorry for this, but welcome to the real world where families get too deep in debt and have to work two jobs each to pay them off.

First I guess why are you not in the legal field, even if you have not passed the bar at this point there are lots of jobs within the legal system that needs someone with a law degree.

Next of course if you are a real people person, like to work outside and/or traveling during the day, consider something in sales

Next look at where you live, what you drive and so on. A person can cut their budget ( if you don't have one get one) and normally live on a lot less if they do without some of those things they think they can't live without.

Jan 6, 2006, 01:02 PM
    Thanks for the responses
    Thanks for the responses. I have passed the bar, so that's not an issue. The problem is: I didn't know what I wanted to do after college, so I went to law school. I've been a successful attorney, working in the public sector, but do not want to do this crap anymore. And it's not like I live an extravagant lifestyle; it's the $700 a month I'll be paying for the next 25 years.
    Expert

Jan 6, 2006, 01:11 PM
    Debt
    I know the feeling, I went to law school myself but never took the bar.

There are many areas of the law that may allow you some freedoms, many of the lobby groups hire attorneys to do the lobby work, others find doing public service and working for charities appealing. Also perhaps you have not found the practice you like.

Many teachers have this same issue but not as many years, go to school to learn to be a teacher and find out they don't like it when they get there.

Also have you looked into ( if you are not too old yet) into the legal field in the military, I heard before that they have programs that help to pay off the student loan debts ( don't know the truth but heard it some years ago)

Jan 6, 2006, 01:34 PM
    Thanks again
    Thanks. I guess the real problem is I don't know what I want to do.
    Expert

Jan 6, 2006, 03:14 PM
    To do
    Don't feel bad, I am in my 50's. Now yes I am a priest and bishop, but the order we belong to require we work a job to support ourself and the order. Well I have had many "carreers" over the years and still have not found that true job calling.

I guess that is why they call it work.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2006, 06:38 AM
    Boring job
    Hi,
    Fr_Chuck has already given some very good responses.
    I like the "that's why they call it work".
    A hobby is something we really like to do. Wouldn't it be great to have a job that is like a hobby?
    I was a high school teacher for 13 yrs, then at 33, decided to go back to school, got my Engineering Degree. Changed jobs, changed professions. Stay there for 23 yrs, got laid off with others over 50!
    Started another career, then retired at 63, due to family health issues.
    So, such is life.
    We make the best with what we have. You can make a difference in other peoples' lives by treating them with respect, caring, and listening. You never know how much you have helped someone, unless they tell you, which is rare.
    With having to pay that much money a month, I really don't have any suggestions about how to change to a more enjoyable job.
    I do wish you the best in possibly finding something, as a lawyer, that will lead to happiness in what you do. I really don't understand "working in the public sector", so with that in mind, have you checked into working for a law firm? Taking cases on an individual bases?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2006, 06:53 AM
    Career
    Find the passion to do what you what to do, search yourself, find out what makes you happy and then go for it!:D
    CinnamonBrownie Posts: 45, Reputation: 13

Nov 26, 2010, 07:46 PM
    Hi,

You mention you're not sure what you want to do (presumably whether you're even interested in your legal career or not).

A book I found totally invaluable was The 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss. It changed my life and I can't recommend it highly enough to you, if you're considering whether you want to be on the path you're on, if you're wondering "is this all there is," etc.

You could get it from the library (it was or is a New York Times bestseller).

The 4-Hour Workweek and Timothy Ferriss
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2010, 03:23 AM
    Cinnamon, you answered a question from 2006. I don't think deputylefty is still here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probably a boring question: Flapper sticking in toilet [ 1 Answers ]

The flapper in the toilet is sticking in the open position causing the toilet to run (unless someone jiggles the handle to get the flapper to close). The chain was twisted around the handle, but has since been fixed. The flapper continues to stick for no apparent reason. Suggestions? Thanks.

Boring flight (What to do?) [ 1 Answers ]

What are some fun, sensible things to do on a long flight? (fun thing to do for a sensible grown up... i.e - not childish or immature)

View more questions Search