Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikath6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 07:51 AM
    Jeweler buying "hot " merchandise from 1st time thief.
    A family member stole from a relative 2 antique rings which were Family heirlooms worth over $7000 (that needed repair), not realizing their worth, and then sold them to a jeweler for far less than they are worth. The thief is a kind but learning disabled 20 years old on probation for 1 year for an offense related to a fight with an ex-girlfriend that got physical. He has a drug problem (pain killers) but isn't ready to go for rehab at this point. He agreed to go to NA and for counseling but hasn't done so. He has long history of troubles, if not sticking with things, and his family has tried to help, but nothing has worked--even counseling. His probation officer says his drug tests, done randomly at weekly probation appointments, are negative and that probably he would not be arrested, even if found positive over a few occasions, as he is not on probation for a drug-related offense. His family's goals are to get him into rehab before it's too late and to recover the stolen jewels if at all possible.
    Are there laws against doing what the jeweler did? What would be the best course to take to try to resolve both dilemmas? Should the police be notified? Past experience with the legal system in juvenile matters have not been at all positive. We want to do what will be the most potentially thing to attain desired goals. Please advise.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2008, 08:10 AM
    You'd have to report jewelry stolen in order to force the jewelry shop owner to do anything... and of course that would come back on your family member who would get consequences for his actions...

You might talk to the jewelry shop and find out if they will negotiate with you about return of property, but it is not their fault your relative stole it, and then sold stolen property.

Sounds like, in your family, the relative gets to have his actions excused for his disability.

Do your really believe he doesn't know any better? He was smart enough to figure out how to sell them. He knows how to get his drugs, and he knows how to work the family.
    How smart is that? I'd let the consequences "smart" a little too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying Property "AS IS" [ 15 Answers ]

My husband and I are buying this property for very little money in an old part of the city but it is downtown where my husband thinks it'll be great to use as an office. He wants a place where he can begin writing for a magazine. The property is being sold "AS IS". Should we have it inspected...

"air time" and velocity of object thrown upwards [ 2 Answers ]

A ball is thrown vertically upwards with an initial velocity of 27.0 m/s. Neglecting air resistance, how long is the ball in the air? What is the greatest height reached by the ball? And calculate the first time when the ball has half of its initial velocity. Thank you!

Felicity Season 4 music "Time Will Tell" [ 2 Answers ]

I have been searching and searching for the song in the end of "Time will tell" in season 4 where Felicity and Noel decide to be together. Can anyone help me?

Anyone heard of "Buying Off" a Probation [ 1 Answers ]

Here is some quick basic info. My boyfriend was convicted of the crime iabout 17 years ago which was attempted murder and robbery. He served way more time than he should have considering the circumstances of the crime. He was released this May and now has 4 years probation. He was what you could...

View more questions Search