Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2006, 11:10 AM
    Chips challenge and midi files
    A friend just gave me a copy of chips challenge, which I haven't played for ages! :D I realized though that I can't hear the silly midi songs that went with it, and that's part of the fun. In trying to fix the problem, I discovered that I can't hear midi music on my computer at all. How would I fix this problem? I know there are plugins for web browsers, but what about just on the computer? Do they work there too? Thanks for any help.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2006, 11:13 AM
    You'll need the necessary drivers that go with your specific sound card. Post your sound card's make and model and I can link you to a site.
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2006, 11:40 AM
    Thanks NeedKarma... I have SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio, hardware version 002. Hope that's the information you wanted... it took me a while to actually find it!
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2006, 11:49 AM
    No problem. Is your computer a brand name model e.g. Dell 4600, HP Pavilion xxxx, etc. If yes let me know, the manufacturer's drivers are best for onboard sound chips.
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2006, 12:14 PM
    It's a refurbished IBM NetVista running win98 SE. Pentium III, 20 gigs RAM, 800 MHz processor I believe...
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2006, 10:57 AM
    So then can I just download them from IBM? I notice that they have different drivers for download on their website, but I'm not which one is the one I should use.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2006, 11:23 AM
    Sounds like the best plan to me either that or try HERE.
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2006, 11:38 AM
    Thanks CurlyBen I will try that right now... love your cute new avatar by the way! :)
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2006, 11:44 AM
    Further to Curlyben's link for the drivers, can you get the model number of your Netvista? It looks like it should be a 4 digit number (machine type) or Axx.
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2006, 12:10 PM
    Where would that be? The model number I mean? There's a sticker on the front that says TYPE 6269-F1U SIN 78-GNPKV. That's the only thing I see.
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2006, 11:04 AM
    Bumpity bump bump

Errr I feel like a complete idiot, but I have tried everyone's suggestions and I'm still having no luck with hearing midi sounds. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me, or maybe even a direct link to a midi driver I can download? My computer is telling me that I don't have any midi drivers installed.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2006, 11:20 AM
    Thanks for bumping it, I missed your reply. Here is the website with all the drivers for your model:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4MVU4N

Try the 98SE Audio drivers (either one) and let me know how that works.

Good luck!
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2006, 04:35 PM
    Yay!
    WOOOHOOOO! It worked, finally! Thanks sooo much NeedKarma! I was about ready to give up! :)
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2006, 04:57 PM
    That made my day. You're very welcome. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chocolate chips [ 11 Answers ]

Does any one know of a way to keep chocolate chip candy from melting? Need to take it to a pot luck. There is no frig. Sunduster

Are there spy chips in your clothes? [ 6 Answers ]

Interesting that Levi Strass has something to do with spychips. Use link: spychips.com - how RFID will compromise privacy, security, freedom

MIDI Quantization [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, folks. I'm experimenting with MIDI quantization using the Neural Network Toolbox. Any pointers are appreciated. First, a brief discussion on MIDI quantization. In this specific context its purpose is to "correct" a performance by shifting data representing notes played by an...

Another Flange Challenge And need to correct it [ 9 Answers ]

I have installed about 8 toilets to date. So know the basics well. And this is the third one in my parents home in a basement, on ceramic laid on a concrete floor. Aging, more flush, higher toilet etc. I installed last night a new American Standard Champion two piece comfort height elongated...

Cannot Play Midi Files [ 1 Answers ]

When I get an e-mail that say's turn up the volume to hear this--I can't hear anything--I have the volume turned up loud, and no mute buttons on--I can play cd's on here, but cannot hear the e-mails--thank you for any help

View more questions Search