Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackie0000 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 08:38 PM
    What percentage of income should go to 401k?
    What percentage of income should go to 401k? I am 29 years old. I read that at this age, you are allowed to contribute up to $15,500 per year. Right now I am contributing about half that amount, about 8.5% of my income.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2008, 08:49 PM
    You should absolutely, if possible, go for the entire amount that the employer will match. If you do less, you are leaving money "on the table"

After getting the employer match, its time to think a little more. Sometimes its good to push additional monies into a roth.

But really, first thing is first... get every dime you can of the employer money first.
    KCDave Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Jan 15, 2008, 10:40 AM
    If your contributing 8.5% already I'm almost certain your above what your employer is matching, but check with your plan to be sure. Some employers are starting ROTH 401K's as well. Once you know for sure that your getting the full match in your 401K you can start adding more to either it or a ROTH, but I would shoot for your contributions to be 15% of your income. BTW, I would make sure you have your emergency fund in place first and your debts paid up. Sounds like your off to a great start though.
    jackie0000 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KCDave
    BTW, I would make sure you have your emergency fund in place first and your debts paid up.
    How would you calculate your goal value for an emergency fund?
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2008, 11:30 AM
    And food for thought...

We've got full employer match, then we are pushing money into a 529 fund for the college education of my son, then money into a roth, and I think we are going to take a good chunk of money this year and put it into gold/silver. Wish id done this two years ago, but I just don't think the dollar has come even close to its low point yet.

Uh.. my point, though, was supposed to be if you have young kids a 529 fund might be an option... there are penalties if the child doesn't go to college, as the money gets taxed as income and also a penalty (I think 10%) but I'm willing to take the chance.

And converting dollars into other currency/gold/silver might hedge against a bust in the dollar.
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2008, 11:32 AM
    for emergency, we have a 6 month reserve that could pay all of our normal fixed bills and projected variable expenses.
    KCDave Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Jan 28, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie0000
    How would you calculate your goal value for an emergency fund?
    Most folks say 3-6 months of your net income. But there are some things to consider.

- Are both you and your wife employed
    - Do you have short term and long term disability
    - Are your jobs in demand and could you easily get another
    - Is your likely hood of getting laid off low
    - Do you have other investments that could be tapped

If you said yes to all of these you would more than likely only need a 3 month emergency fund. If you said no you may want the full 6 months.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solo 401k or SEP IRA for side job income? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife has a 1099 Income(50k) and a regular full time job in which she contributes to employers 401k. She wants to maximize the amount of money she want to contribute to retirement plans for 1099 income. Is she eligible to open an solo 401k or SEP IRA account and reduce taxes? If she can what is...

Percentage of salary with regard to 401K [ 5 Answers ]

I currently have 40% of my income taken out for my 401K plan. A friend told me that I can be taxed and penalized when there is too much taken out for 401K. When I reach the maximum, there is no longer any taken out; however, she asked her financial planner and also her tax guy and they both...

401K draws and Income tax reporting [ 6 Answers ]

I requested a draw from my 401K on 12/28/2006; it was pulled from my 401K account by Fidelity, but they didn't deposit it into my checking account via EFT until 1/2/2007. Is this taxable income for 2006; Fidelity reported it on a 2006 1099-R? I think it is taxable income for 2007 since I didn't...

Income tax percentage in Bangladesh [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir/Madam, I have a question that please clarify what is the slab for the Income tax & what is the percentage of income tax to be paid in Bangladesh Country. What would be the flight charges from Calcutta(India) to Dhaka (Bangladesh).

Tax percentage of 401k [ 4 Answers ]

Thinking about taking money out of 401k to pay off the house. What percentage will we have pay for taxes? I've heard 10%, 25% and 49% depending on who you speak with. We are under 50.

View more questions Search