Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    floofybunny Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Drywall to drywall
    I need to resurface a wall that has a layer of 1/2" drywall with another layer of 1/2" drywall. I intend to use laminating adhesive and type g gypsum screws. Do I need to be concerned about getting these screws into the studs or just screw drywall to drywall?
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Jan 13, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Studs. You're not going to find a screw that will bite into drywall enough to squeeze the adhesive and hold the panel up.

Is there a reason that you don't want to remove the existing drywall, aside from just not wanting to do it?

I find it preferable to pull the drywall and reskin than to build out all of the doors, windows, outlets and switches.

Thanks,
    Json
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2008, 10:07 PM
    Floofybunny - Yes put at least 4 or 5 screws to the stud , before you start the new sheetrock ,find the centers on a few studs at the top and bottom, and lighty mark ceiling and floor, use a rule or tape measure and mark stud centers on 16 inch centers,After laying out is done then start your sheetrock, ;;; Hope this helps you out ,If it does rate my answer below :::: good luck & GOD BLESS :::F>B.E.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drywall [ 6 Answers ]

My home is about 25 years old. Recently I've noticed that the drywall screws seem to be coming out. There's small bumps in the drywall where the screws are. In one room, the opposite is happening. Instead of bumps, I have small depressions around the screws. Is this situation serious and what...

Drywall on ceilings [ 7 Answers ]

We are building our own home to earn equity program. My husband hung our drywall using 1/2 inch sheets on the ceilings with 24" in between joists. We have been told by our drywall finisher that the ceiling will sag because we were supposed to use 5/8. Is there anything we can do now to correct...

Wet drywall [ 1 Answers ]

Is the strength of drywall affected by humidity?

How To Drywall over TV Hole [ 2 Answers ]

Currently, my 36" television is in a large cut out over my fireplace in my living room. There is also a panel in the sidewall of the hole that contains hookups for electric, cable, and stereo. Although the tv is nice, it is not an HDTV, and I would like to replace it with a flat panel LCD HDTV. ...

Tiling over drywall [ 1 Answers ]

I have a wood stove. I want to put slate tile behind it. Can I tile directly onto the painted drywall. If not what must I do?:

View more questions Search