Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alimarie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Water temp on boiler
    How do I turn down the water temperature on my burnham boiler, it is set at 170 degrees, and I only need it at120 degrees?
    tsa7man Posts: 154, Reputation: 9

Jan 13, 2008, 07:10 PM
    If that is a cast Iron boiler... you can NOT run boiler water temp under 140 degress F... or the boiler will condense the flue gases in the block area and rust out your boiler... Why do you want to run that low of a water temp?
    alimarie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 07:13 PM
    It is a burnham boiler we were just trying to conserve on heating fuel.
    therinnaiguy Posts: 153, Reputation: 5

Jan 14, 2008, 05:16 AM
    Listen to tsa7man, the best thing you can do to conserve is to add what is called a "heat manager". It's made by Beckette. Check it out on the web. You will save between 10 and 20%.
    tsa7man Posts: 154, Reputation: 9

Jan 14, 2008, 05:23 AM
    As well, you can add a Tekmar reset control that will let your boiler fire at a lower rate with an outside temp. sensor, which figures the water temp you will need for the outside temp. Great control.
    Frdbrkl Posts: 94, Reputation: 7

Jan 14, 2008, 03:13 PM
    Put all of that together with a programmable stat (Honeywell or White/Rodgers please) and you should save quite a bit of dough... if you program it and adjust yourself to its operation. Also have the boiler brushed every 5/6 years (or if it gets dirty/sooty) and burners pulled and cleaned annually.

And yes, he's not joking. 120 degree water will cut your heat exchanger life in half if not more. Some mfrs-especially in higher efficiency equipment-require specific piping or controls to maintain 140 degrees and won't warranty if the requirements are not met.

Actually, around here your temp setting is a little low. We run boiler temps at 180 typically.

These guys are all on the mark. This site is great!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water temp changing with pressure changes [ 4 Answers ]

As our shower is running and the water pressure goes from high cut out to low cut on the water temp changes. With the higher pressure the temp is hotter and gets cooler as the pressure drops. There seems to be about a 10-15 degree change from high to low pressures. My tank switch is set from...

Water temp. Always changing [ 8 Answers ]

When I run the water for a bath, it stays at what ever temp I put it. When I turn the shower on though, it is always changing, hot,cold,hot,warm,etc... I am confused as what's the difference? & how to fix it? The knob to turn the shower on was replaced but this did not fix the problem? :confused:

Temp of water and seam [ 1 Answers ]

What is hotter, boiling water or steam?

Hot water temp. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks I had a water pump problem and ended up replacing it with a new one. The problem started after the install of the new pump, when you adjust the water temp. for the shower and then turn the shower on, the water temperature drops to almost cold:eek: and you have to turn the hot way up to...

Solution for water temp changes in showers? [ 3 Answers ]

I've read a lot about water pressure problems in showers when other faucets are turned on, however, my issue is more with the water temperature changing. Our house was built in 1999 in the Austin, Texas area - is on city water and is a two story home (both showers are upstairs). The water...

View more questions Search