Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sj_salsero Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Leak in pipe in bathroom sink
    I have a leak in my bathroom sink pipe. The leak is in the top of the pipe coming out of the wall(hole in top). I have tried to take the pipe out by twisting it to no avail:( . Should I try to saw the pipe, or call in a plumber? What is the best way to fix this leak? I tried to use tape and plumbers glue. No luck. Thanks.
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Jan 13, 2008, 08:46 PM
    Sj, can you perhaps share a pic?

I'm confused as to whether you're dealing with the supply or the drain.

If it's the drain, it uses compression washers with a threaded nut to seal the joints. If it's begun leaking, you can remove, clean the joints and washers and replace with success usually.

If you're dealing with the supply and a joint is leaking, then you need to repair prior to that joint by using a coupling, then replacing the trouble joint with a new portion. You of course have to be able to get to this joint to fix it, so you might be looking at some minor demo under the sink.

If it's leaking at the valve(the chrome portion that has a handle on it), then you can repair or replace. How you do it will depend on how it was installed. It may be threaded on, which is easy for you to replace. It might be a compression ring, which will require that you cut the end of the line off to replace or it might be a sweat fitting, which would require heat & solder.

Knowing which pipe you're talking about would allow someone to know whether you're better off calling someone in or not.

Thanks,
    Json
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 14, 2008, 01:06 PM
    SJ, there are three pipes under your sink. Two small supply lines provide the hot and cold to the faucet and then there is a 1.25 or 1.5" drain pipe which makes a J bend, that's your trap. Where is the leak? Which pipe and what color is the pipe?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak under bathroom sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one handle bathroom sink. Underneath the sink, under the escutcheon, there is a small leak of water coming out of the middle hole. It is the same hole that the stopper plug rod goes up into. It's the hole between the hot and cold water line connections. Where is this leak coming from and...

Kitchen sink drain pipe leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a big leak under the kitchen floor, I went under the house and I can see the leak which is right in the center of the kitchen. The crawling space was very minimal and hard to get to the cast iron pipe. I was thinking about opening the kitchen floor which is wood to see if I can fix the...

Leak where pipe joins the sink [ 2 Answers ]

When my partners earring fell down the sink I had to remove the "u" shaped pipe to retrieve it.upon doing so the seal was broken where the piping is joined to the ceramic sink.what can I use to make this seal water thight again?any help will be greatly appreciated!

Bathroom Sink Valve Leak [ 2 Answers ]

The shut off valves under my bathroom sink have started leaking and I am not sure what to do. The sink has had a tendency to clog lately, and I am not sure if this is related or not. Are there any suggestions on how to repair the dripping valves? Please advise.

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search