Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hmark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Adult parvo?
    I have an eleven yr old lab/mastiff mix. He's a mostly outside dog for the past few yrs. Because he can't control his bladder much anymore. After doing a little research, it looks like he has parvo. The first symptoms that we noticed was on Tuesday. At first I figured he ate something bad. On Thursday we called a vet because he still didn't want to come out of his dog house, even though he did drink some water if we took it to him. He was very alert, just showed no interest in getting up. They said that if it was bad food that it would take a few days to work through his system. On Friday we carried him into the house. Not easy, he's about 120 lbs. he seemed happy, but weak. Saturday late morning he started having bloody diarrhea and really dark urine that smells horrible. He will try to move, but winds up messing himself. A friend mentioned parvo, so I've spent time looking and that's what it sounds like. I plan on contacting my vet first thing in the morning, but I have concerns about my other animals. I have a 2 yr old basion/maltese and 5 cats. None will go near the sick dog, but I wonder about them getting parvo. We clean the messes up right away and use bleach water for final clean up. The sick dog has gotten up and walked short distances a couple of times the last couple of days, so we were hopeful. But now reality is starting to set in. after reading about parvo, I'm worried about our other animals. Could you tell me if this is a real thing to be concerned about? It's bad enough that it looks like we're going to lose one pet, I really don't want to lose more. They're a part of our family.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hmark
    i have an eleven yr old lab/mastiff mix. he's a mostly outside dog for the past few yrs. because he can't control his bladder much anymore. after doing a little research, it looks like he has parvo. the first symptoms that we noticed was on tuesday. at first i figured he ate something bad. on thursday we called a vet because he still didn't want to come out of his dog house, even though he did drink some water if we took it to him. he was very alert, just showed no interest in getting up. they said that if it was bad food that it would take a few days to work through his system. on friday we carried him into the house. not easy, he's about 120 lbs. he seemed happy, but weak. saturday late morning he started having bloody diarrhea and really dark urine that smells horrible. he will try to move, but winds up messing himself. a friend mentioned parvo, so i've spent time looking and that's what it sounds like. i plan on contacting my vet first thing in the morning, but i have concerns about my other animals. i have a 2 yr old basion/maltese and 5 cats. none will go near the sick dog, but i wonder about them getting parvo. we clean the messes up right away and use bleach water for final clean up. the sick dog has gotten up and walked short distances a couple of times the last couple of days, so we were hopeful. but now reality is starting to set in. after reading about parvo, i'm worried about our other animals. could you tell me if this is a real thing to be concerned about?? it's bad enough that it looks like we're going to lose one pet, i really don't want to lose more. they're a part of our family.
    I think, being uncertain of his malady, you should have isolated him from your other pets. I would get him into a vet immediately without even trying to diagnose what he has but it sounds bad enough as you describe it.
    dogpoundbrenda Posts: 78, Reputation: 12

Jan 13, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Have all your dogs had their vaccinations yearly? If they are fully up-to -date on their shots it's less likely that its parvo, although dogs any age can get the disease if they have'nt gotten any immunity built up through vaccinations,Could he have gotten into any poision? The dark foul smelling urine you speak of suggest there is blood in it... I would get this dog to the Vet.. ASAP...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I Just Lost My Puppy to Parvo.Will My Adult Dog Get Sick? [ 26 Answers ]

On the morning of Friday Feb. 9th we noticed that our 8 1/2 month old Shih-Tzu had thrown up during the night. We took him to the Vet that morning around 11:00 am. The vet said that he probably just had an upset stomach and a little gas. She gave him a shot for the nausea and prescribed him some...

Parvo [ 3 Answers ]

Has anyone had a dog with parvo... my new basset hound puppy has it we just found out today the breeder say that she didn't get it from there but we have only had the dog for 8 days and well she got sick on Saturday night. Also I have 2 other dogs at the house that aren't sick with parvo and one...

Dog has parvo [ 10 Answers ]

We took my sons dog to the vet and she tested positive for parvo. The vet gave as some medicine for her told us to give us to give her gatorade to keep her hydrated,and just wanted us out of his office fast,he could careless if she lives or dies,he got his money,and they were cleaning around us as...

Could it be parvo? [ 2 Answers ]

My Puppie Is 8 Months Old And Has Started Acting Like He Has Parvo. Isn't He Too Old To Get Parvo?

After parvo [ 1 Answers ]

My dog was diagnosted with parvo last Friday (6 days ago), he stayed in the clinic for 4 days, the vet was giving him IV, and some kind of antibiotic, I went to pick him up today(wednesday) he hadn't thrown up since Monday morning, when we were coming from the vet he threw up a little bit, and then...

View more questions Search