Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sheisleavinghome Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Auto Insurance
    For someone that is 22 year-old, is having his the last semster in college ( Won't be a student after this semester)... what is the best auto insurance package?
    Is that a good idea to be part of my parents' policy? Can he still be part of his parents' policy? What will happen after he graduates in 6 months?
    This will be his first time driving too, so any advice on what auto insurance he should get?

Thanks a lot.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Does he have his own car?

First time driving? Do you mean he has not had a drivers license before ?

If you are in the US, it can vary greatly from state to state, many companies will not insure a young driver with no experience,
    Often, a policy with the same company he has been insurned under his parents can be the best, but honestly it is a matter of getting a dozen quotes and seeing who can be the best.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 13, 2008, 12:02 PM
    I believe as long as he is living at home, he can be insured under the parent's policy. Usually this will be the cheapest since it takes advantage of multi-car and other discounts.

But its easy to get a quote these days. Progressive.com will give a comparison quote.

Jan 13, 2008, 12:02 PM
    He can't get his license without an insurance. He has never driven before... He hasn't got his car yet... should he get his car first? Can he use his parents' car?

Jan 13, 2008, 12:05 PM
    He is living in the dorm, can he still be under his parents' policy?

Once he graduates, is that possible to stay under his parents' policy?

Jan 13, 2008, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sheisleavinghome
    He can't get his license without an insurance. He has never driven before...He hasn't got his car yet...should he get his car first? can he use his parents' car?
    Not true. One can get their license without their own insurance policy. The parents can add him as an additional driver. However, to get an accurate quote he will need to have a car ready to buy.

P.S. Please don't cross post. I've merged your two threads.

Jan 13, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Thank you, I am sorry, I didn't know if I was posting in the right place until I saw "insurance".

How long can he stay with his parents' policy?

And he has to have the insurance before taking the final driving test... what if he fails? He didn't get the license. Does he still have to pay for the insurance? (or pay the difference with the old policy that his parents' have)

Thank you for the help!

Jan 13, 2008, 12:14 PM
    What state do you live in? Is DMV telling you you need coverage to take the test?

If that's the case, then I would add him to your insurance contingent on him passing the test. If he doesn't you can remove him. Why not talk to your insurer they can probably give you better answers. As I said, as long as he is living at the address of the policy owner, he can be covered under it.

Jan 13, 2008, 12:21 PM
    I live in NC. The DMV requires insurance to take the test.

I have filed a claim last month, if he goes out having another accident, my rate will go up no matter I remove him afterwards or not, right?

Thank you. I am also thinking about changing insurer at this moment, so that's why I am also getting advice on which company is better.

Jan 13, 2008, 01:25 PM
    If the claim was on his driving then there is the possibility it will go up. Its not a guarantee, though.
    Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 01:31 PM
    The DMV will require insurance on the vechile the person is using for the test, If he was using my car, my insurance policy would be provided, if he was using your car, your policy is shown, He does not have to have an insurance policy in his name ( in fact without a license you can't ge an insurance policy in your name** in policies I know os )

Jan 19, 2008, 10:33 AM
    So does it mean if he was using my car, I didn't have to pay extra for him? I could keep the same insurance policy without adding him?

Thanks,
    Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 10:38 AM
    No, it means that you will need to check to see if he will be covered driving your car with your agent, as for as actually being covered, On my policy any adult who is not a member of my household ( living in my house) is covered unless they are not listed as excluded.
    For example I have one adult son, not living at home, but he is excluded from my policy from when he used to live at home.
    If he is living at home with you, and going to be driving your car, you will need to list him as a driver on your policy . His name will not show up on the card but he would be a listed driver.

You still keep the same policy , merely add a additional driver living at home.

Now if you have a policy that only insures the listed drivers only then no one can use your car expect you ( very seldom are these written except in somme of the super cheap policies.)

But you insurance car, not the person, and list the drivers with the insurance companies.

Jan 19, 2008, 01:33 PM
    If he is living at home with you, and going to be driving your car, you will need to list him as a driver on your policy . His name will not show up on the card but he would be a listed driver.
    If he is eligible, can I add him to the list? Does it cost extra money?

Jan 19, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Generally adding an authorized driver, especially a young one, will increase your insurance rate.
    Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Yes, if they are under 25 and/or have less than 3 to 5 years of driving experince and esp if they are male, they will increase the insurance price a lot.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sheisleavinghome
    If he is eligible, can I add him to the list? Does it cost extra money?

In some States (and NY is getting sticky about this) if you have a young driver in your house and you swear on a stack of Bibles that he/she will NEVER drive the car, NEVER, you still have to list them as a potential driver and pay the higher premium (for a young driver).

States vary but in NY if your child has a separate insurance policy but is under your roof and is an accident without enough insurance to cover the injuries/damages the Attorney will move against YOUR (separate) auto insurance as overflow coverage.

(I have explained this until I am blue in the face and my own family doubts me but I spend a lot of time in people's driveways taking down license plate number of other vehicles in order to look for other insurance policies.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Insurance [ 3 Answers ]

My 2007 Toyota Avalon was hit by another driver, and the damage is going to be above $5000. Would it be a good idea to ask for depreciation compensation? If so, how much. Thanks.

Auto insurance adjuster [ 2 Answers ]

I need some help. I recently had a custom motorcycle, well frame and engine stolen from my household. My insurance adjuster after a month when it was suppose to be max 21 days is now wanting me to provide her with cell phone records for last month, bank statements for ythe past year, many different...

Auto Insurance Claim [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question regarding a fender bender I was in, more so the claim. I was found not at fault by the other party’s insurance company and they are paying for the repair to my 2007 VW Jetta. But what concerns me is my vehicle is only three months old and now has a history of an...

Auto insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know anything about "aig" are they reputable? Thks noboat

View more questions Search