Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Safe Substitution in a Fruit Cake
    I should have posted this at Christmas but just never got to it.

I like fruit cake but hate the citron. Can dried fruit be substituted for the citron - like cherries and apples and cranberries, etc. If so, is it the same measurements as citron? I got the rum part down - lol.

Thank you, in advance, to any who reply.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2008, 01:07 PM
    You betcha they can be substituted and I know it tastes a lot better than the citron any day. Anytime you want to experiment with substitutions just think about how dense a dried fruit is and you can use the same measurements as originally called for. I took expensive cooking lessons once years ago even though I'm a great cook myself. Learned a lot of little tricks on substitutions. One grandmother was a professional cook and the other grandmother was a cook to a family of 9 kids. My mother would mess up boiled water. Liked your rum cake recipe. LOL

I do like the cherries and cranberries in the rum cake myself.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2008, 01:17 PM
    Sure can, in fact it's a lot better with dried or fresh ( I use dates, raisins, cherries, pineapple, pears, apples and cranberries in mine) and lots of rum,MMMMM, you can use fresh fruit, dried fruit, candied fruit, nuts and spices, when I've had to make this I used about 1-2 pounds of mixed fruit.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 01:31 PM
    A friend sent me a monastery fruit cake for Christmas. It was delicious and contained only pineapples, raisins, walnuts, and cherries.
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Thank you three sooooo much. I enjoy fruit cake but citron makes me shiver. That Monastery Cake sounds delicious too!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Shy, here's the page for that cake --

Monastery Greetings
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2008, 04:37 AM
    Thanks, WG. Does not surprise me that that would sell out quickly. Bookmarked the page for next Christmas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Algebra: substitution [ 2 Answers ]

how would you go about solving 6x+7y=19 and x+y=5? I need to use the subsitution method. Please help! I don't understand this and I feel so stupid. :( thank you :confused: Carly ;)

Algebra II Substitution [ 1 Answers ]

Could you help me with this eqatution all the way through because I keep getting the wrong answer the answer is suppose to be (-3,1/2) the equation is 4x+6y=-9 2x-10y=-1

Substitution method [ 2 Answers ]

I need to solve for x and y x+y=4 y+-x=3

Help crumbling fruit cake [ 2 Answers ]

I have baked cakes for quite sometime and all of a sudden they have started to crumble when cutting. Any ideas

Substitution [ 2 Answers ]

What is substitution?

View more questions Search